Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Savannah River Bridge Run

On Sat. Dec.3 Charles and I ran the Savannah River Bridge Run. This was the morning after our talent show and right before we headed to New Orleans for Midyear. It was a busy weekend.

I won't wax too poetic about this run as I did last year's. But, I will say again that I absolutely love running 5Ks. I have no desire whatsoever to run a marathon but, I'd surely run 12 5Ks a year.
Our backyard and "garage"
I trained with the kids in the jogging stroller about 2x/wk starting at the end of Oct I think. The Saturday before the race Charles and I took turns running the bridge without the stroller. That was the first time I ran without them and I realized that I had done a good thing conditioning with extra weight- race day would be a breeze not pushing them.

Remembering how Zumba helped me last time, I did a 1 hr class at the YMCA the Thursday before the race. That definitely helped!

I ate 2 oatmeal pancakes that morning for breakfast but, should have only eaten one. It was a fun morning date for us since we had Michelle babysit. We left before Azure and Vince even woke up. All the sudden I had to use the bathroom 10 mins before the race started. The line was super long for the porta-potties so I had to practically sprint back with less than a minute before starting. I actually think that was a good warm-up for me though.

It was a beautiful, clear day. Pretty cold for Savannah though, mid 40's when we started. I felt great almost the entire run. Again, thanks to motivation from my song list. I didn't look at the course beforehand which was a bad move on my part. Because I couldn't mentally imagine where the finish line was, I didn't push myself when I should have. Then when I finally realized how close I was I tried to give it my all- that was when I started feeling the effects of that 2nd pancake.

My goal was to get under 30 mins so when I saw the clock read 29:41 I panicked and sprinted as fast as I could. I felt like I was going to throw up and was looking for a trash can. Luckily, I didn't. The time when I crossed was 30:01. I was kinda upset that I was so close, but not close enough. Imagine my surprise when I related this to Charles and he reminded me that my start time didn't start until I physically had crossed the start line, not when the race actually started. My time was 29:01! A whole minute faster than I had thought! My fastest 5K time ever. It makes a huge difference not having pushed the jogging stroller.

Charles ran the double pump. The 5K and then a 10K! He is intense. He ran the bridge 3 times. One time was definitely enough for me.

I only have this one pic of us. Here's the website of more pics of the bridge. It is really pretty.

2 comments:

Stefani M. said...

Wow. I hate running. Quentin once did a 10k by himself (trained for it, then rain it on a treadmill). He tried to do a 5k on our new bridge, but then it was threatening rain, and rain here means lightening 80% of the time, so they wouldn't allow people to run across a giant metal bridge for a while (we went home... we couldn't keep the kids there to wait it out just in case it was back on). But good for you! I'm an exercise DVD person myself.

Sarah said...

You guys are awesome. It's something else if I even walk a 5K :)