Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Moonlighting as a hippie

1) This post is not about Azure.

2) This post is about a recipe for granola. And Azure likes to eat it.

3) The recipe is adapted from the Hatch family, who shared their wisdom with us when we stayed with them while interviewing at Campbell University last December.

4) I like granola because it is dirt cheap, simple enough for a caged ape to make, and will sustain life for extended periods of time, ie a busy week of school and/or work when eating becomes inconvenient.

5) Deanna will attest to the fact that I get excited about foods that fall into the above category.

6) Lists are an effective way to make information more accessible.

7) The ingredients for granola are as follows:
  1. Oats/Crunchy morsels/Complex Carbohydrates-amylose
  2. Simple Carbohydrates-glucose, fructose, sucrose, mannose, maltose
  3. Grease-pig, sunflower, hemp, rapeseed, etc.
  4. Flour/Powder
8) The steps for cooking the above are:
  1. Mix 9 cups rolled oats, 2 cups Krispy Rice, 1 cup total of whole wheat flour and wheat germ.
  2. Add 1 cup total of lipid cocktail. May or may not contain beast fats according to personal tastes.
  3. Add 1 cup total of mixed sugars. I prefer 70/15/15 Honey/Molasses/Marshmallow Creme(Fluff)
  4. Mix briskly
  5. Put on a cookie sheet or other recepticle
  6. Bake at 400 for about 10 min.
  7. Remove and stir to prevent burning
  8. Bake again for about 5 min.
  9. See step 7
  10. Do step 8 until you can't wait for sustenance any longer.
  11. Consume with milk, yogurt, or vienna sausages
9) You can customize your granola to your own survival-promoting needs by adding protein powder, dessicated fruit, more or less of individual ingredients, whatever fits your fancy.

10) Making granola is truly alchemy. Take all that dusty stuff out of the cupboard and make gold. Sweet, delicious, edible gold.

11) Wear Birkenstock sandals

17 comments:

MayoStix said...

Also, if you want to make it taste like something it's not, add artificial vanilla flavoring or artificial almond flavor. If you want it to taste like something it is, add real vanilla extract or actual almonds.

MayoStix said...

I just had a good idea. Put P-nut butter in it. Or peanuts. That would be really good.

Stefani M. said...

I love being "hippie"-- actually I usually refer to myself and "part-granola" (though rarely eat it). It's fun to make things from scratch... like today when I made beans in my crockpot... that kind of activity always makes me feel "granola-y" and FRUGAL! Woohoo! Maybe I'll have to make granola sometime...

Sarah said...

I love reading about the adventures of Azure and the rest of the family. I hope you guys are doing well so far away in Georgia.

TaMara said...

How do you feel about Coconut Oil in the granola mix? I hear they have a "great" one at Nature's Way! Looks like Azure is just growing up everyday. Can't wait to see her in her costume now that it fits! She's such a little cutie. We haven't forgotten about planning for the beach, but we're still thinking about a good time. I'll be in touch with y'all!!!

sandra said...

Thanks for the recipe, Alton :) I've been thinking about it since the very last oat of the so-called "ruined" batch that Deanna gave me when you were moving. I'm excited to give it a try!

Stefani M. said...

I don't blame Azure... I don't really like kidney beans myself (I sub red when it says kidney in a recipe). The trick to beans is an overnight soak and low and slow cooking (like 8 hours) with a bit of salt (for these I just guessed and tossed in 1 tsp for the pound, but I could have done more). Oh, and if you've got it, toss in a large tomato: peeled, seeded and diced.

Stefani M. said...

Oh, you can try using filtered water, too. Also, if you have the time, let the beans cool and rest in all the cooking liquid (after they're cooked obviously) overnight in the refrigerator--it seems keep the beans "moister" when they are naked--you'll see it develops that thick liquid that canned beans are packaged in. Good luck!

Bonnie said...

12) Don't forget the tiedye and dreds.

Aunt Tally said...

you are so a scientist

Just Me said...

I used to make granola too! Completely different recipe. Way yummy though. If you are interested I can send you mine your way just for variety. I always mixed it with vanilla yogurt and frozen blueberries. Yummy! Now I want to go make some, but I barely have time to write this and I told Zach we'd make cupcakes. That's way more important than granola! But I will be using applesauce instead of oil to make them a little more granola-esque!

. said...

i love homemade granola....

Anonymous said...

Chuckles, you make me chuckle. (Surely I've said that before?) I have made granola for Christmas presents and people have loved it. I always add pecans (before cooking). For the Christmas granola, I added white chocolate chips and dried cranberries after it was cool. Made it pretty and more unhealthy for the holidays (but still better than cookies or candy).

I've always cooked mine at about 325 degrees, though. Does cooking it at a higher temperature make it crunchier? 'Cause I like crunchy. I also tend to like simple--just oats, sugar, oil, nuts. No little seed things. But crispy rice stuff sounds interesting.

Ha. Show me your Birkenstocks, brother.

Catherine said...

Dee had been telling me about your inventions with the granola. Wow! You've taken the Hatch granola recipe to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL! :)

MayoStix said...

I upped the oven temp out of sheer impatience. I used to have to take it out and stir it 5 0r 6 times to get it done (crispy). Now it takes about 3 times, but I have to be all the more vigilant to prevent over-crispage.

Mamie said...

I heart this post.

Unknown said...

If you ever publish a cookbook let me know. I definately will buy!