Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Consequences of our decisions

Consequence isn't necessarily a bad word, though it does have that connotation.

I have always loved my last name. I loved that it was unique and that no one else had it (expect my cousins). I loved saying, "La Madrid, like the capitol of Spain."

I was never one of those girls in school who would write my first name followed by the last name of some boy I had a crush on. My last name was clearly superior to any of my crushes. I guess I kinda knew that I would always keep it. When I got married I felt it would be too hard to say good-bye to the name I loved, but not wanting to come off as a total femi-nazi, I decided to hyphenate rather then just keep my maiden name.

I knew it would be somewhat confusing to some, it is L O N G. But, it REALLY is difficult for a lot of people. Here is an example of a typical conversation that I have:
"Last name?"
"Lamadrid-Jensen."
"Jensen?"
"No, it's hyphenated. Lamadrid, hyphen, Jensen."
"What?"

I think people assume Lamadrid is my middle name or something so when I tell them my last name they think I'm giving them too much information.

Azure's last name is just Jensen. So, when we go in for Dr. visits they ask, "Last name?"
"Mine or the baby's?"
Then I get a strange look and Charles is referred to as my boyfriend!
"No, he's my HUSBAND."

I suppose I have brought this upon myself huh? We really try NOT to confuse people. My hyphenated name is really just for official documents and what not. At church we are just Bro. and Sis. Jensen.

6 comments:

Just Me said...

Lots of women have hyphenated last names for lots of different reasons. I think it comes as no surprise to any of your friends that you would choose to hyphenate your name, but in all honesty its one of those special qualities about Deanna that make us love you so much. You have such a passion for life and for things like your last name. I say this in all seriousness, as a compliment too. Coming from me and being written you never really know. Enjoy your special last name and the many frustrating moments that it has to bring. Some incidents surely bring an extra laugh to your day when you look back on them!

Sarah said...

One of these days you're going to get that email about WHEN NOT TO HYPHENATE YOUR NAME. Luckily, yours sounds really nice :)

Aunt Tally said...

i still dont know what i am going to do. I kinda want to keep lamadrid but then i'm not sure. sigh...

. said...

I can understand your attachment to your maiden name: I love it too! Lamadrid is so fun, I immediately think of, well, Madrid, and the churros and chocolate I had in the cafes (I fell in love with Spain on my spring break '99.) Anyway it is such a part of you, I can see how you would want to keep it!

Anonymous said...

It would have been kind of sad to go from the unique Lamadrid to the not-quite-so-unique Jensen, I think. And I'm saying that as someone who married into the name Jensen. It's a fine name, but Lamadrid is a name to keep, I think.

Maren B said...

I can sympathize with wanting to keep your maiden name. I didn't hyphenate, so people get extra confused as to why I have 2 middle names. And now people get confused about how to pronounce Eva's name, too, so we're just making their lives as hard as possible. Oh well, they can deal with it. You have a great maiden name.