I picked out the name Azure in my summer school Biology class in 1996. I had a blue shade of eyeshadow in my backpack and noticed the shade was called Azure. I had never before heard of the word and wasn't even really sure how to pronounce it, but I was intrigued and thought it was beautiful. Because my favorite color is blue, and I have always received compliments on the blueness and beauty of my eyes, I thought it was a perfect name for my first daughter. On my list of attributes for my future husband that every teenage girl makes, I added "must carry the blue eye gene for Azure." Of course once Charles and I started dating seriously I was overjoyed that he had blue eyes :)
A few years later while singing the hymn Love at Home in church, I noticed the word...Azure! If I had had any reservations before then that the name was frivolous because it was a shade of eyeshadow, those feelings disappeared as I felt the promise and assurity that the Lord would grant the desires of my teenage heart in blessing me with an eternal family of my own, that I would have love in my home, and that I would bear a daughter named Azure. When Charles and I were dating only 3 months I asked him cautiously what he thought about the name Azure for a girl. He said, "I like it." It was then that I knew we were going to be fine :)
Almost exactly 11 yrs later, in the summer of 2007 our little Azure was born. We were relieved to see that she did indeed have blue eyes and was fitting for her name. I revel in the compliments she now receives that her eyes are so blue, so big, so beautiful, so clear and bright, and I think of this scripture:
Almost exactly 11 yrs later, in the summer of 2007 our little Azure was born. We were relieved to see that she did indeed have blue eyes and was fitting for her name. I revel in the compliments she now receives that her eyes are so blue, so big, so beautiful, so clear and bright, and I think of this scripture:
"And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things" (Doctrine and Covenants 88:67)
Azure is a light to our family and fills our lives with joy!




5 comments:
I think it is a very pretty name. I'd blog about the picking of Zach's name, but there really isn't a story behind it. We're boring folk over here.
How beautiful! The name and the story!! Glad you shared this!
When Charles told us the name I hoped that she would for sure have blue eyes like the both of you. Sure enough she did and they are big and beautiful!
Very cool post, I'm always very curious why people choose the name they do and what story it has behind it. Thanks for sharing.
Dee, I love the name Azure. It is mysterious and beautiful and, of course, has my favorite letter, "Z" in it. :) Gotta love the recessive genes. I have recessive red-hair and blue eye genes. (Hence ezra's coloring)
Post a Comment