Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 11, 2010

The end of a season

On Sunday I was released from my calling as Young Women's president. It's bittersweet. Just for the record, I feel more sad than relieved. I had served for almost exactly 2 years.
Victoria, Me, Jamie

It was so hard at first. It wasn't until about a year into my calling, last summer at Girls' Camp, that I felt like I was finally seeing some fruits of my labors. I was walking one of my laurels to her cabin when she stopped suddenly. I looked at her and she was crying. Then she threw her arms around me and said, "You have taught me so much Sis. Jensen, more than you know. Thank you!" Wow. This was a girl that I had wondered if I was truly reaching. I could go on and on about experiences like this.

They have taught me so much! They are bombarded with evil everyday in the halls of their schools, but they diligently strive to stand for truth and righteousness. I have been to their sporting events and choir concerts and have stood with them in the baptismal font of the holy temple. I will miss being their leader! I told them that I expect to receive a temple wedding invitation from all of them and that I will try my best to attend their sealings, wherever they decide to get married, I will fly there.

I was released because the Bishopric felt inspired to call me to a new position: Primary Chorister! I feel it's a tender mercy to have this calling. I first went to church when I was 11 (just about to turn 12), and what made me want to keep going back was the pretty songs we sang in primary. (Since I loved to sing) The one I most remember was "Easter Hosanna", which I lovingly taught to Azure this last Easter. Now, every time she sees a palm she sings it. So, here I am 17 years later, teaching children how to sing the primary songs.

Like always, the Lord's timing is perfect. I have 2 small children and since I don't know many of the Primary songs myself, now is the perfect time to learn. I really do hope that I will be called to YW's again when Azure is in there. If any of you have been Primary Chorister before, please give me some ideas!

6 comments:

Martha said...

That is so crazy--I was just called to be primary chorister in our ward. I am excited but a little intimidated. Let's definitely compare ideas! And I'm sure your young women will really miss you.

Sarah said...

Wow. I bet that is sad to leave your YW. I bet you were such an awesome leader! This new calling will be fun though... Primary chorister: the scariest one to me. But you of course will do wonderfully, and the primary songs are just beautiful. I love to sing them to Ella.

p.s. adjustments going well. Thanks.

Line said...

I've never been a primary chorister (any probably never will be because I have no singing ability, haha), but have (and AM) been in your position as a yw president. I know when the time comes for my release, it will be bittersweet for me as well. And I too will feel more sad than relieved. However, thinking that you did it for two years (I just made a yr as yw pres) with small children reminded me of how great you are. Your yw are so blessed to have had you as their leader.

Ruth said...

Being a primary chorister was one of my most favorite callings ever, ever. I hope to do it again some day.
I am sorry that you have to leave YW, though. Hope the adjustment goes well.
If you want to talk about being a chorister, I'd be happy to talk sometime. (Also, my mother the master primary person--like 30 years in primary callings--would be happy to share insights, if you're really looking.)

adriandgreg said...

Wow, Deanna- what a change! I know you have blessed those girls lives. They will remember you forever and be grateful forever! You will also make a great chorister. How fun! That was one of my most favorite callings. The spirit you feel with those little children is amazing. I think I cried each Sunday when that was my calling. Just listening to them sing about Jesus is just so sweet. Heavenly Father knows what we each need and what others need that we are affecting. You will bless the lives of the children and their leaders just as you have the young women! You are so great Deanna!

*Meg Larsen* said...

primary chorister is one of my favorite callings! it's nice to be the "fun one" in primary and hearing the sweet voices of children brings peace to the soul. How hard to leave YW though!

Eric and I have been team teaching the four year olds and he just got called to be the priest quorum adviser so now i'm on my own....