Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Catch up: St. Augustine

We went on an impromptu trip down to St. Augustine on Mon. June 7th and only stayed one night. Besides it being ridiculously hot and humid we had a wonderful time. I LOVED St. Augustine! There's something about Florida that infatuates me in a way that Georgia... well, just doesn't. Don't get me wrong, Savannah is beautiful and I'm positive we'll miss it lots when we move next year but, I can't quite say "I'm in love with Savannah."
First off, we ate at Colombia's, which is not a Colombian restaurant (unfortunately b/c I love me some Colombian empanadas- haven't had any for years) but, a Spanish and Cuban restaurant. We were disappointed that they didn't have yucca. I went for my fave Spanish dish, Paella. While, Charlie had Cuban fare. Here I am with my Paella that actually tasted a little too seafoody for me. I'm not sure if it's one of my faves anymore :(
Next stop: downtown. Very delightful. Cute little shops in narrow little alleyways. Charles was ecstatic that they had a Pepper Palace with hundreds of hot sauce varieties. He is insanely crazy about hot sauce. We walked around Castillo de San Marcos, but didn't actually go inside. I think we've had our fill of historical forts for awhile :)





We checked into our hotel and then walked 1 block east to the beach. Since it was around 5pm or so, the sun wasn't directly above us and it wasn't too hot. Azure was the bravest we've seen her in a long time in the waves. I actually got some time alone to body surf and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Charles woke up the next morning before sunrise and ran on the beach. I slept in with the kids. After breakfast at the hotel, we went to the Fountain of Youth National Park. Pretty awesome. Could of been more awesome if it's wasn't 100 degrees w/ 100% humidity.

Drinking the water from the real fountain of youth folks. That's right, I will never age!
For the record, it did NOT taste very good.
After we came to our senses with the A/C blasting in our car for about 15 mins, we regained our strength and walked around Flagler College, and the Lightner Museum. We ate lunch in what was once a swimming pool in the famous Alcazar Hotel where I had some of the most tastiest salmon w/ fettuccine and lemon sauce. Oh my!

Then we feasted our eyes on the lovely Spanish architecture! I love Spanish architecture, especially Spanish style roofs. (So happy the temple we were married in is Spanish style :) I seriously get giddy just looking at all of these amazing buildings. I could have spent hours photographing them, however with temps and humidity percentage in the 100's, my motivation wanes just a tad.
If you ever have the chance to go to St. Augustine, go! I hope we can go back someday.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like such a fun trip! :)

Aunt Tally said...

Sounds fun. That fort looks exactly like a fort we went to in the Bahamas.

Papa Lama said...

When I was a boy I read a lot of books about the Spanish explorers and I remember the story about Ponce de Leon and his quest for the Fountain of Youth, it's neat that you got to see it.