Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 30, 2010

My blessing is a curse

So, for those of you who were envious that Vince was sleeping 11 hrs straight at such a young age let me tell you that those long stretches of sleep without nursing has caused me to get mastitis so you can now no longer be jealous.

I've had a few rough days and nights this last week. The pain started early last Saturday morning. On Monday I was feeling a lot better and thought it was gone, but yesterday and today I have continued to have hot, fiery sensations all throughout the whole left side of my body (mostly my arm and armpit; currently under my ribcage headed towards my knee) at random moments which are painful and uncomfortable. Funny that one of the solutions to recovery is rest! So, while Vince continues to slumber peacefully for 11 hrs straight I have to get up 1-2 times a night to pump b/c it's too painful. I would rather get up to feed a hungry baby than to have to pump! So, needless to say I'm getting less sleep than before. What a catch 22! Gratefully it actually isn't painful to nurse. It's just the hot, fiery sensations that kill when I'm trying to sleep and 2 ibuprofens aren't helping much.

Azure has had some bad days herself. We started putting underwear on her to sleep. She had a 50% success rate on the 4 nights she tried. However, whenever I'd wake her up before going to bed myself to take her to the bathroom she refused. She is so grumpy if you wake her up! I picked her up and put her on the toilet and after sitting there for a few seconds she would get so mad and say that she didn't have to go. So, we put diapers back on her and will try again in a few weeks when she will actually go when I wake her up to.

I looked at old posts here on the blog today with her to show her pictures when she was a baby. She was so cute! And she didn't give me attitude! I pray to have more patience with her. It is hard. I am enjoying Vince being a smiley, happy, baby before his defiant stage starts.

2 comments:

Line said...

Ouch! Mastisis does not sound fun! Spencer actually started sleeping through the night before my milk supply adjusted too, so I had to get up and pump because I couldn't sleep because of the engorgment. It was however nice to have the extra milk in the fridge for church and stuff like that.

And I totally understand where you're coming from with Azure. Spencer REALLY tests my patience and I too have had to pray for more patience with him.

Stefani M. said...

Those babies just don't cooperate sometimes! My kids don't sleep through the night until the all-night-diner refuses them service. BUT Julian slept through the night his first night or two home--wouldn't even wake to feed if I TRIED. He ended up getting mild jaundice from it (because one way the bilirubin leaves is through excretion--less feedings=less excretion). Well, I hope you feel better soon. And sorry Azure won't potty for you at night. We've never had that problem with Haley (we also wake her to potty). Maybe Azure would prefer Daddy? (Haley sure does--little Daddy's girl.)