Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Naps- a blessing and a curse

Azure stopped taking a regular scheduled nap back in August. Ever since then bedtime for her has varied greatly. If she takes a nap (even if she falls asleep in the car for only 10 mins) she doesn't go to bed until very late. This problem became exacerbated when Vince was born. I preferred that she take a nap with me even if it were late in the afternoon to her being awake and destroying the house.
Sometimes after taking a late nap she hasn't gone to bed for the night until 1am! When she goes to bed that late she usually doesn't wake up until 10:30 or 11am, which is nice for me because I get to sleep in if Vince happens to be sleeping too. (Blessing) But, it's also annoying to have to keep going into her room every 15 mins because she wants us to sing her "Down Chickens" or she has to go potty, or she's hungry and her tummy hurts, or she wants to brush her teeth again, or she wants more water, etc. (Curse)

Tonight I was in charge of a portion of our mutual activity for the Young Women at church. I had to make a lot of phone calls, gather my thoughts, download 2 talks from General Conference last weekend, among other things. Vince was crying, Azure was being whiny and pestering me for something or the other and I was trying to get dinner together and unload the dishwasher. Unfortunately Charles wasn't here to help me because he was out shooting his brand new shotgun. So, when Azure crawled under the "panda" (the playgym) and fell asleep at 4pm I didn't discourage her. It was a blessing while I got some things done. The curse was that she didn't fall asleep until midnight tonight.



On Monday she was acting very tired and went into her room and shut the door. I opened it a few minutes later to find her laying down on the floor with her sleeping bag and pillow. It was 5pm and I didn't want her to take a nap because I knew she'd be up all night so I told her to get up. "But, I'm tired mommy! I want to go to sleep!" Charles and I laughed pretty hard at that. Such a different tune she sings at actual bedtime! That night we put her to bed at 7:30 and she was fast asleep 15 mins later. And she didn't even wake up until 9:30 the next morning! (Blessing)


5 comments:

Maren B said...

Yeah, I'm one of those moms who's whole day revolves around naptime. It truly is the key to toddler happiness or destruction.

Stefani M. said...

Yeah, Haley dropped consistent naps around 2, also. Julian is starting to be less consistent now. BUT they're both okay if they don't sleep past 4pm or if they only get a 10 minute cat nap later... but we aim for an 8:30 bedtime around here. We go so far as to wake them up if it's four, or if it's been 10 minutes. We'll think of some activity to do: go outside, take a bath, play play-doh, make an excuse to drive to Wal-Mart or offer candy... all in an effort to get their tired little bodies AWAKE! LOL

It's such a hard transition with two kids. After Julian, I just never counted on Haley taking naps, nor did I make her nap so that I could nap. If I needed some shut-eye, I'd pop in a DVD and snooze next to her on the couch for 20 minutes while Julian napped (gotta' have the house baby-proofed, though--baby gates, door, drawer and cabinet locks are a must!). And I know this might sound terrible (my brother and SIL do not approve of this), but after we started trying for baby #2, middle of the night problems because Daddy's domain. I need more rest when I'm pregnant, and after the baby if I'm getting up and nursing 2-4 times a night, then that's enough... Quentin took care of anything else. They seem to get up less with Daddy, too. Maybe we Mommies are just softies. :)

Line said...

I can totally relate. I feel like Spencer slept SO MUCH better when he was younger than he does now. He sleeps a lot later, too, and I've tried not giving him a nap to see if he'd return to his normal bedtime. BUT I found that when I don't give him a nap, he'll be so exhausted and fall asleep (no matter where we are) around 6pm, wake up 2 to 3 hrs later, and then stay up til 1am or later! Drive me crazy! So now I make him take his nap in the afternoon and just deal with the fact that he doesn't sleep until 11pm... Much better than 1am and no nap!

Tara said...

I sighed as I read this because Lily wouldn't take her nap today and then crashed at 4:30. Oh well, at least I got the house picked up and dinner made peacefully!

I try to keep her awake or get her down for a nap by 1 pm, but if not .... I just go with the flow!

Wendy said...

So frustrating! At least you got some cute sleeping pictures! :)