3 weeks ago we visited the historical Bonaventure Cemetery. What a cool place! It was like going to an art gallery almost since a lot of the tombstones have beautiful sculptures and artwork on them.
Last week Azure and I, along with a friend and her kids, went to Jekyll Island, about an hour south of here. Jekyll Island is home to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center.
I had as much, or more fun than Azure because I love sea turtles, they are so dang cute! One of the most interesting things I learned was how the gender of the turtles is determined. A few weeks before hatching an egg will be a girl if the temperature is warm, and a boy if the temperature is cool. Usually the eggs in the middle will be girls, and ones on the outside will be boys. But, if there is a rainstorm or the mother lays her eggs in the shade of a tree, then the whole batch will be boys! And if it's a hot summer night, or the eggs are exposed to lots of sun, they will all be girls. As I read that I felt extremely grateful that our gender is not decided at the whim of a temperature change due to environmental factors, but that it is eternal and was determined long before we came to this earth.
mortal, and eternal identity and purpose" (The Family: A Proclamation to the World).





5 comments:
u have more pictures of turtles than u do of my beautiful niece!
It seems like there a lot of neat places to go out there where you live. It's a different life then good ol' So Cal isn't it?
Is that cemetery the one we tried to go to? I want to go to the turtle island! I guess I'll have to go back again.
I love love LOVE old cemeteries! They are so beautiful and filled with history. I remember my mom used to do grave rubbings on some tombstones on the East Coast (our relatives??) Anyway those pictures look amazing.
Wow, I'm grateful too that our gender is not determined by the weather. Thanks for sharing that!
Post a Comment