It is too good my friends, but most definitely true!
I learned this little secret working with health insurance at my job 3 years ago, then reaped the benefits myself receiving a nice check in the mail after Azure was born. I've told many people about this but decided it was time to post it on the blog to help all of you make money the next time you get pregnant.
What's the "catch"?
Nothing really, except that you must get on this plan BEFORE you conceive. You need to be on it for at least 10 months. Sorry to you friends that are already pregnant(that's about 5 of you). But, now you know for your next baby!
This is called supplemental health insurance known as hospital indemnity plans. The reason it sounds too good to be true is because these plans are not SPECIFICALLY for pregnancy. They are usually for accident prone people or people who have an illness who may end up in the hospital. But, if you're planning on having a baby in the hospital and not a home birth then you too can take advantage of this!
How does it work?
Sign up about 1 month before you plan to get pregnant. I signed up through my employer and I believe that is the cheapest way to do it. Have no fear if you are not "employed", you can do it through your husband's employer too. Talk to your HR person at work. Both Allstate and AFLAC have these plans. I did it through Allstate so I'm more familiar with them. If neither you or your husband are employed full-time you might be able to sign up through an independent insurance broker. If you live in UT and aren't employed you can do it through these people. (I just found them through a search so I don't know much about them.)
When you sign up you'll pay a monthly premium (amount depends on the actual plan and carrier). Take a claim form with you to the hospital when you are admitted for labor and delivery. Have your doctor sign the form and then mail it to your carrier who will then write you a check :)
Most plans work like this: You get a lump sum for just being admitted to the hospital. Then the more days you stay, the more money you get. You can also add a rider for anesthesia or surgery (C-section). Though I would definitely not recommend having either! If Azure hadn't been breech then I would've had my dream natural birth, which I'm planning on for the next ones.
Let me know if you have any questions.




4 comments:
I kinda felt like I just read an info-mercial. Too bad there won't be a next time for our family. I'm quite positive we are done. And if there is a next time it'll be an accident which means I won't be able to sign up for it at least a month before I conceive.
I thought about doing that--glad I didn't! It's not worth it unless you get pregnant right away (it took 6 months for Haley an 10 for Julian).
It may still be worth it depending on the plan you choose! I had to get on it before I was even MARRIED to sign up with a co-worker. I was on it for 16 months and still made a couple thousand dollars even though I paid 6 months more in premium than I needed to.
We did that and it worked out really well, especially because we didn't have to try for too long.
Post a Comment