We have been trying to get Azure to stop sucking her thumb since a little before her 3rd birthday. To no avail. When we tell her to take her thumb out, she says, "But, I will cry!" or "But, I LOVE to suck my fumb!" Indeed, she does.
So, much in fact that she regularly asks Heavenly Father in prayer to bless her "fumbs". (She has trouble making the "th" sound). I can't help but, chuckle quietly at this sincere request.
A couple nights ago Charles put hot sauce on her thumb. She screamed and screamed. I assured her that the act of him putting it on her thumb was not going to hurt. As soon as he finished she ran to the bathroom to wash it off with soap and water and soon after her thumb was once again in her mouth.
Just now I told her that Daddy was going to have to put it on again if she didn't stop to which she replied, "No way! Mommy, you throw that hot sauce away now!" I kinda of laughed and said that it was Daddy's so we weren't going to throw it away. Then she said, "Well, I'll just wash it off."
Apparently this method doesn't work :)




2 comments:
i hear thumb sucking is a hard habit to break. my little sister and saia's little sister both sucked their thumb until they were like 6 (no joke), and both our parents had a difficult time getting them to stop. i remember when my sister became aware that thumb sucking wasn't normal for a girl her age, she never sucked it consciously, but it would slip into her mouth as she was falling asleep.
anyhow... maybe put a bandaid on the thumb she sucks? one that she can't take off? :)
I know I stopped sucking at 5 years old. And I got my ears pierced when I stopped. Don't remember how they convinced me, though.
Post a Comment