And the next day was even worse (weather wise). We drove up to Solvang on a windy, mountain road overlooking the majestic ocean. Some parts of it looked like Hawaii, seriously (Malibu). I could see it in my mind's eye how absolutely gorgeous the view was. But, in reality all we saw was a big gray, foggy cloud. I think I cried a single tear. We decided that maybe in 10-15 yrs we'll go back to Santa Barbara and celebrate our anniversary at a bed and breakfast.
This is what it would have looked like.
On Nov. 1 our Bishop extended a challenge to our ward to read the 4 gospels in the New Testament by Christmas. Since we were a little behind we listened to the whole book of Luke and most of John while driving the 350 mile weekend trip. I recommend listening to the scriptures every once in awhile. It gives a different perspective than reading it yourself. Hearing about Christ's life and ministry as we drove in the rain, softened the disappointment of the weather. We were grateful to have eaten at Cafe Rio and The Cheesecake Factory while on the trip. (Yay again for Cafe Rio CA locations!) Both delicious, though The Cheesecake Factory was a little pricey for the quality of food, I thought.
And we were grateful that Angela and Robert let us stay with them for 2 nights. We had fun playing Rock Band with them at night after our rainy travels.
Solvang
We also made a special trip to Ventura to see Charles' Aunt Betty and Uncle Wayne who are the Mission Presidents of the Ventura Mission.
And on the way home we made one last stop to see a friend of Charles' from high school in Simi Valley. All in all, a good trip, despite the rain.
When we arrived home Charles and I were able to attend Lessons & Carols, a musical Christmas fireside that the Jurupa Stake puts on every year. I haven't been since maybe before or right after my mission, so it was fabulous to go this year. I have fond memories of singing in the stake choir in high school for this fireside. It was especially nice that my parents watched Azure and Vince so Charles and I could go alone and really focus on the music. Music really makes the Christmas season for me.







2 comments:
Looks like fun! We've always wanted to go up to Solvang for an anniversary trip. Sorry I missed you when you were here! :(
Cool! Saia's bro served in the Ventura mission from 2005 to 2007.
Post a Comment