Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Temporary Relocation Voyage/Shenanigans

If you haven't heard, our family unit has been ripped apart for the last 3 weeks due to a rotation for school which I chose to complete in the greater Idaho Falls metro area. I'm currently an unpaid slave at Walgreen's learning a great deal about retail pharmacy. You may be aware that Idaho and Georgia are over 2000 miles apart, which implies travel between the 2 topographically unrelated states. Azure and I spent 4 days together as nomads, consuming stale sandwiches and warding off scurvy with citrus.

Day 1:
Savannah to St. Louis

Crossed the towering Appalachians. Chattanooga looks interesting. Kentucky was exactly as I imagined it, minus the baseball bats. Crossed fingers through entire state of Illinois in fear of being pulled over by socialist Illini. Visited "The Hill" in St. Louis, a little Italy that won my heart and my stomach. Drove by St. Louis Temple. Azure slept soundly upon placement in pack and/or play.

Day 2:
St. Louis to Omaha

Went to Community of Christ Temple in Independence, MO. Reminded me of the BYU museum of art. (there was a lot of art) The spiral ceiling "took my breath away" (cue Berlin). Museum was highlight of temple, had window from Kirtland temple, door from Liberty Jail, more interesting old things. Proceeded to LDS visitors center. Spotted Utahns, denim shorts, socks and sandals, minivans. Azure played in a miniature cabin. Meandered to Church of Christ Temple Lot. Spoke to Church of Christ Apostle for ~1/2 hour. Examined THE lot.


Next went to Liberty Jail. Azure spazzed out.


Next was Far West Temple site, then Adam-Ondi-Ahman


Completed day by driving to Omaha. Azure learns that if she yells "I pooped!" that I will stop the car and get her out of her car seat, poop or not. Azure is given 5 string cheeses, no poop, no stops.

Day 3:
Omaha to Rapid City

After stopping in Sioux Falls for a toxic Subway meatball sub, I opened the car door, which was nearly removed by a gust of cold, dry wind. A bitter welcome back to my natal half of the continent. Stopped at The Corn Palace. Did not eat corn. Did buy clearance post cards.


Yawned across the plains to The Badlands, bad indeed:


Left badness, went to world famous Wall Drug


Azure was ultimately terrified by a large mechanical Tyrannosaurus Rex, although not in this video:


Experienced further "cold" in Rapid City.

Day 4:
Rapid City to Victor

In true fatherly cheap form, we drove by Mt Rushmore without wasting $10 to park the car slightly closer to the chiseled granite.


Drove through Custer State Park, reveled in buffalo and wild burros


Wyoming is very boring and very big. Was happy to see these (cloudy Tetons=almost there):


Arrived at brother Jon's residence in Victor and bathed/harassed chickens


Day 5:
Victor to Idaho Falls

Since we've been here Azure has assisted in daily tasks, ie feeding Rock-E



Mastering grandpa's heavy machinery


A very enjoyable trip thus far. I've appreciated the one-on-one time with my child, whom I normally interact with for <20%> of the day. We look forward to Deanna's arrival tomorrow and the reunion of team Jensen.

10 comments:

Aunt Tally said...

Looks like you guys had a really good time. I'm sure Azure has enjoyed spending time with dada. Watching the video of her feeding the horse reminds me of videos I have seen of Dee when she was little. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Bonnie said...

Someday she'll figure out that people don't admit to pooping their pants no matter what perks it gets them! Did you hear we're getting an in-n-out in draper this fall! Whoohoo!

Charles said...

I did hear about In-n-Out making the push into Utah. I think Chadder's should sue the pants off of them.

Stefani M. said...

Glad you made in there in one piece... and with some semblance of sanity left. What a smartie, that Azure... kids will do anything to get out of their carseat, won't they?

Martha said...

What an adventure for you guys! And congrats on the pregnancy! Hope this one is MUCH better than last for you Deanna!

Maren B said...

charles. charles! the 'take my breath away' reminds of krang's moustachioed and historically disembodied head, jarred or otherwise - i give you...wait for it...GIORGIO MORODER!! (thunderous applause eruption and fainting fans of Top Gun everywhere)

Heart,
Jared.

Hillary said...

Wow, what a cool trip.

Allison Holmes said...

Wow what a trip! Love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Wow-looks like a fun crazy trip. Road trips are always fun. I enjoy checking out all your pics.

Layla said...

I really enjoyed that virtual road trip :)