Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 6, 2009

Exciting News!

Sorry to disappoint anyone who thought this was an announcement of my pregnancy because I am NOT pregnant! (not yet anyways.. :)

Some of you actually already know this news from facebook- I auditioned for, and am now a member of, the Savannah Philharmonic Chorus! I am just late in blogging about it. This is a pretty big deal for me. It is the first time in awhile that I feel like I am exclusively developing a talent of mine. I have lots of thoughts and opinions about this and hope to be somewhat articulate explaining them.

Our late President Faust described phases of a woman's life as "seasons". Usually as a stay at home mother, a woman temporarily puts her career ambitions or other pursuits on hold to raise children. Elder Ballard pointed out that our children only live with us for one-fourth of our lives. Not very long. "And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life."

That puts things into perspective. It's a sacrifice, but WELL worth it. A friend of mine posted this story on her blog which further illustrates this point. I am grateful that I am in a "season" right now where I can pursue singing by being in this choir. I only have 1 child and she is at an age of semi-independence. Plus I am at rehearsal while she's sleeping. I remember feeling so overwhelmed when she didn't take a bottle or eat solid foods (first 7 months of life). I seriously could NOT be away from her more than 2 hrs. I thought that's how the rest of my life was going to be as a mother, very short sighted I know.

All of this leads me to my next point (what? there's a point? yes). Women and men have a desire to create, to be creative. God is the Ultimate Creator of us all; of this earth, of the universe, of all things good. As His children we've inherited the divine quality, and gift, from Him to create as He does. The greatest creation of all is another human life which I am so grateful to have taken a part in. I feel the joy of creating something when I sing, particularly when I perform. Creating things rejuvenates us, however small. A meal, a smile, a photograph, a remodeled room...

I would love to hear your thoughts and feelings on this. If you have the time and are looking for good reads on these topics, here are some of my favorites. We Are Creators, Daughters of God, and Happiness, Your Heritage.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I think that is so great that you were able to find something that you are able to do for yourself. It's so true that there are different seasons for various things we need to be doing, and I think if we follow the Spirit we will know when those various things come into our lives. It's not always easy to do what we need to, espeically if it's not time to do something we want to. It all works out better in the end if we are patient and do the best we can in what we are supposed to be doing. Oh, and totally fine to have the link :) Your family is great!

The Erickson Family said...

Congrats Deanna! I loved the talk by President Uchtdorf. IT SPOKE VOLUMES TO ME! I find myself in the same thought processes sometimes of just thinking that the rest of my life is going to be taken up by changing diapers and watching Sesame Street every morning, but I know that this isn't true. I need to keep the eternal perspective. I love a song that the Primary children are going to be singing this year in their program: The Family is of God. (You can look it up on the church website to listen to it). It has helped me so much these past couple of days. It teaches really neat doctrine...simple, yet profound. You are amazing. Thanks for your friendship.

Stefani M. said...

Congratulations! What talent! So glad Azure has a predictable bedtime (Julian is ALL over the place between 7:45 and 9:45). And how nice to find something that fits in your schedule so easily. I have GOT to pick up one of my old hobbies again (since they all got put on the back burner after Julian was born). I actually never minded being constantly needed by my nursing babies... on that part, I was able to keep perspective and realize how short of a time they are little babies. I just wish I could get more peace at night! (I know... I could have Julian cry it out, but I just don't like that idea, and I don't mind nursing him at night... if it weren't more than once or twice....) Okay, I think I've rambled on this comment long enough. I'm now going to push the "publish your comment" button.

Just Me said...

That's awesome! I wish I could be there singing with you again!! I think that it is wonderful to be out doing something that makes you happy! A happy mom equals a happy home.

Sarah said...

Very well said. I am glad to find the post you were speaking of. I highly agree. And I really liked what you and Kara had to say about motherhood (although they were really said by other people...) Anyway, I agree. We have this innate desire to create things, and I think/hope that is a godly trait we are trying to posess. Best of wishes in your choir!

sandra said...

I'm so happy for you! Such a great example of developing talents and doing what you love! Azure will benefit so much by seeing that as a mother, you can still spend time on things you enjoy. Please let us know when your performances are.

. said...

Yeah! congrats, dee! You have always loved to sing, and you have a beautiful voice. I love that talk by Faust. It gives me great encouragement that Heavenly Father wants all His daughters to improve their talents and interests, just in the right "season." I love you for posting about this!

Michelle said...

That's awesome Deanna. I'm totally jealous, I would LOVE to sing in a choir again. Right now there really is no time for what I want to do because Darryl is trying to finish school and someone has to take care of the 3 little ones at home. Maybe someday there will be such a thing as "me time" again. I guess in some other "season", right? I hope you have SO much fun in your choir!

lori said...

Deanna, my heart is HUGELY happy about your opportunity to sing!! And I love the topic of conversation you pose - I definately believe that creativity is part of our divine make-up and that we are rejuvinated when we create anything - just like you mentioned, and was discussed in those beautiful talks!

CONGRATS, again!

Happy singing!

adriandgreg said...

Way to go! I told Greg that I would like to do something like that as well. I am looking into guitar lessons. It is SO Important to develop your talents even as a busy young mother. I am excited for you. I always remembering you having a beautiful voice. Of course my favorite song you sang was, "Manana!" I also love Utchdorf's talk. I have read it over again because I have needed to hear it. Thanks for the post.

Line said...

Congratulations Deanna! You are such a talented woman. I loved hearing your thoughts on this. I especially appreciated the reminder that our kids will only be with us for 1/4 of our lives and only a 1/10 of it will they be very dependent. That really puts things in perspective! I guess we better cherish the time we have with our children! I will remember this when I'm feeling overwhelmed with motherhood. :)

Melissa said...

Yay! Congratulations! That is so exciting.

Unknown said...

Deanna, I always love when you share your thoughts, beliefs, and opinions which I mostly always agree with. I love your way of stating things as if they are just facts of life. I feel this same way, but don't quite know how to put my beliefs and thoughts into words. I just want to say thank you.

Sarah said...

First of all, congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment and it is so nice to be in a season to work on your own talents! Secondly, thank you for all your thoughts and reiterating what Elder Faust said about parenting and seasons. I should have vinyl lettering all over my house to remind me that this is such a short amount of time that our kids are little. Intellectually, I get it, but, when both kids are screaming and I am trying to cook dinner I tend to lose my eternal perspective. So, thank you for your insight and perspective and congratulations again!