About 5 months after we were married I became violently ill with pregnancy and started going into work late or not at all (it was a tender mercy that my job that year was extremely flexible). Thus, started the new ritual of Charles reading the devotional book to me while I laid in bed sometimes half-asleep or fully asleep or occasionally awake. Then he would kneel by my side of the bed and pray and then leave for work.
Almost 6.5 yrs later he still does this. And I am usually still asleep :) I am not a morning person and Charles likes to refer to me as his corpse bride since I am almost always asleep when he leaves for work. Though, we haven't read Pres. Hinckely's book now for 2 yrs or so (he grew tired of it after reading it 3x in a row) he still kneels by my bedside and prays.
It is and always will be a fond memory in my heart that he takes the time to do this. Though, I don't always remember the exact things he says in the prayer, since I am half-asleep, I can feel of his love and my Savior's love for me as he does this. Sometimes he's rushed in the morning and running late- doesn't matter- he stills prays with me. One of the most striking characteristics I first noticed in Charles when we first met and started dating was his integrity. His commitment to pray with me every morning continues to be an example of that integrity that I first noticed.
In celebration of The Family: A Proclamation to the World this month I want to echo that "the family is ordained of God." And that "marriage between man and a woman is essential to His eternal plan." And it is through the love, mercy, atonement, and resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ that the love that Charles and I have for each other (and our children) can last eternally.
"O love that binds our family, O love that brings my heart to thee,
Pure love that lasts eternally- Come, fill my soul today; Come, fill my soul today.
O love that overcomes defeat, O love that turns the bitter sweet,
Pure love that makes our life complete- Come, fill my soul today; Come, fill my soul today."(O Love That Glorifies the Son)




6 comments:
That is so sweet! I love traditions that last and make legacies... we have a little leather book... but I have been a bum recently... you inspired me to do better! :)
Good job, you two!
Deanna, just wanted to say I love you and the sweet uplifting things you write! I love watching your little people grow up and can't wait for a glimpse of the new addition! Hope all is well in your wonderful home! Much love to you all!
I am the Corpse Bride too... I am not a morning person. And I don't know why exactly, but I am glad that you shared this sweet story.
I have been out of the blog world for a while, but am just catching up on your posts. I love this and I love how you describe Charles has a man full of integrity. He is a great man and you have a wonderful family. I am so thankful I have gotten to know you :)
For years, Saia has had to leave the house before any of us are awake. So he kneels at my side of the bed for morning prayer too! It really is a sweet tradition :)
Post a Comment