Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Family Vacation Part 1

Unfortunately the 50 mile hike was the week of the 4th of July so we couldn't celebrate with Charlie. We met up with some friends at the Parker's home, had a cook-out and watched a nice firework show in their community (The Landings) complete with bounce houses for the kids. It was great! And it was the first week I was actually feeling better. Hooray!

I made my famous flag cake. This time as a real sheet cake and with raspberries instead of strawberries.

2 days later I packed up the kids and we drove up to Asheville, NC. We had wanted to go to the Biltmore Estate but, we were too exhausted. Instead we just played at a park while we waited for Charles to call and tell us where to pick him up.

Finally reunited, we headed up to Virginia the next day. It was a long day of driving- even with the DVD player. We were all in a bad mood.

Monday we took the subway into DC and spent the day visiting The National Mall. It was hot (esp for a pregnant woman) and I was glad to get inside the Natural History Museum. We spent most of the day there. It is huge! I don't have anything to compare it to as it was my first time, but I thought it was pretty crowded.
She insisted on doing this pose for the pics repeatedly

Our irritability only skyrocketed as the day progressed (family vacations are always so blissful aren't they?) so we ended with a visit to the Lincoln Memorial- separately. Unfortunately, the Washington Monument was closed for renovations so we couldn't go in.



I started feeling better being in Abe's presence. He is one of my all-time favorite historical figures. I so admire his perseverance and courage.

The day could only get better from there and it did! We ate dinner at Cafe Rio! (I may have started tearing up once I saw the sign.) Oh, sweet pork barbacoa salad how I love thee! What could be better? Eating there with one of my favorite people? Yes, indeed! We got to meet Catherine there and spent the rest of the evening chatting with her. Good food and friends is probably one of the best combinations in all the world.

No comments: