Being a mother is sometimes a thankless job. I am the kind of person that really needs to hear often that I'm doing a good job, that I matter, that I am loved, that I'm important and special. Words of affirmation is my love language for sure.
Charles does a great job in this regard. When Azure was born and I was struggling with Postpartum Depression and our marriage started to suffer we began reading this book.
A lot of the principles taught we had to keep in a "future time file" since we only had a 1 month old. But, one of the greatest things we gleaned from this book was the idea to tell each other every night the reasons why we love one another. To this day, 4 yrs later it is my favorite bedtime ritual. We only do it on average 2x a week because we forget a lot of times but, it has helped me to feel loved and appreciated in our marriage. He also leaves me little notes and writes me sweet emails often.
A couple days ago Azure was watching our wedding video. I just love that she likes to watch it! Vince was toddling back and forth between the kitchen and the living room. When the part came on where Charles and I are just stepping out of the temple Azure exclaimed, "Look Vince! That's when we were sealed to Mommy and Daddy as spirits!" It was so sweet and I couldn't help but, smile and stop what I was doing to watch that part with them. This is the fruit of my labors in teaching her the gospel. She gets it! She might not fully understand the intellectual aspect but, she gets the spiritual aspect of what it means to be sealed, to be a family forever. And isn't that the most important part of a testimony?
I snuggled them close and said, "Yes. That's the day we were all sealed together as a family." Things like this fill my emotional love tank and give me motivation to keep on keepin' on.






4 comments:
You are such a beautiful writer! I love reading your honest words and your sweet spirit is felt so strong! I always tell Justin that I hope I can be like you when I am a mama... You have such a radiance about you!
Azure's comment was so precious. You have a wonderful family! I definitely look up to your example as well! I am so glad that we've become such great friends down here. :)
Sweet. You are a great example to me :)
oh deanna, this is such a beautiful post. and you are such a great mother. i know when spencer makes comments like that--that make me feel like i am actually teaching him something--i definitely feel validated as a mother. :)
Post a Comment