Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Judge Not

I just read this poem and about died laughing. But, then I realized that many LDS women subconsciously try to achieve this, even though mentally we know it's ridiculous. (Me included!) So, have a good laugh but, remember to give yourself a break. And most importantly give other women a break. 

Look at me, look at me, look at me now!

You could do what I do

If you only knew how.


I study the scriptures one hour each day;

I bake,

I upholster,

I scrub,

and I pray.


I always keep all the commandments completely;

I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.


I help in their classrooms!

I sew all they wear!

I drive them to practice!

I cut all their hair!


I memorize names of the General Authorities;

I focus on things to be done by priorities.


I play the piano!

I bless with my talents!

My toilets all sparkle!

My checkbooks all balance!


Each week every child gets a one-on-one date;

I attend all my meetings (on time! Never late!)


I’m taking a class on the teachings of Paul,

But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all …


I track my bad habits ‘til each is abolished;

Our t-shirts are ironed!

My toenails are polished!


Our family home evenings are always delightful;

The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.


I do genealogy faithfully, too.

It’s easy to do all the things that I do!


I rise each day early, refreshed and awake;

I know all the names of each youth in my stake!

I read to my children!

I help all my neighbors!

I bless the community, too, with my labors.


I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;

My visiting teaching is done the first day!


(I also go do it for someone who missed hers.

It’s the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.)


I chart resolutions and check off each goal;

I seek each “lost lamb” on my Primary roll.


I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.

But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all …


I write in my journal!

I sing in the choir!

Each day, I write “thank you’s” to those I admire.


My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!

My kids get straight A’s!

And their bedrooms are clean!


I have a home business to help make some money;

I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.


I go to the temple at least once a week;

I change the car’s tires!

I fix the sink’s leak!

I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread;

I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.


I make sure I rotate our two-years’ supply;

My shopping for Christmas is done by July!


These things are not hard;

It’s good if you do them;

You can if you try!

Just set goals and pursue them!


It’s easy to do all the things that I do!

If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!

 
It’s easy!” she said …

… and then she dropped dead.

President Monson knows women pretty well as evidenced by the talk he gave in last September's General Relief Society Broadcast. I often find it interesting that as women we are by nature gentle, loving, kind, and compassionate. Yet, we are so prone to be judgmental and critical of each other. We compare and categorize each other subconsciously almost constantly. I sooo struggle with this!

I love his story about the woman looking at her neighbor's "unclean" laundry through her own dirty window. And these words of his:
"None of us is perfect. I know of no one who would profess to be so. And yet for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others. We make judgments concerning their actions or inactions.
There is really no way we can know the heart, the intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize. Thus the commandment: “Judge not.”
I also just heard of Sister Chieko Okazaki's passing last week (she used to be in the RS General Presidency) and they shared some of her famous quotes from her books and talks on this blog, which I LOVE by the way. Add it to your reader :) I especially liked this one:
“Only you know your circumstances, your energy level, the needs of your children, and the emotional demands of your other obligations. Be wise during intensive seasons of your life. Cherish your agency, and don’t give it away casually. Don’t compare yourself to others — nearly always this will make you despondent. Don’t accept somebody else’s interpretation of how you should be spending your time. Make the best decision you can and then evaluate it to see how it works. Practice saying, ‘I feel good about my decision to . . .’ and then fill in the blank with whatever you decided. If you find yourself saying, ‘I should feel good about this decision, but . . .’ then perhaps you need to reevaluate that decision.”
Lighten Up! , “Seeking the Light of Christ,” Chapter 14
 Love yourself; love others; chill out!

7 comments:

Line said...

wow, i totally needed this! i am definitely too hard on myself sometimes and unfortunately, i am much too hard on others sometimes as well. i esp liked the last quote where it said that only we know our own capabilities. which means, we have no idea what others' capabilities are, so we would do well not to judge others we may THINK are falling short but really, they are most likely doing the best they know how.

thanks for sharing!

Maren B said...

I love that last quote.

Cassie said...

This was great! So funny and so true. Thanks for sharing! :)

Michelle said...

I've read that poem before...how true it is! It takes a lot of effort for me to just relax and realize that nobody has it all, does it all, etc. We're all just normal people trying to get through every day! :)

tiff and jay. said...

This poem is so great! I was definitely laughing at the accuracy and cuteness. Even though I'm not really there yet (juggling motherhood and all), I can totally relate to trying to be everything to everyone. I love that quote at the end. :)

Stefani M. said...

Ha! I stopped trying to be perfect a long time ago. We all put our best face forward, so you always think others have it all together... but many times people think the same thing about YOU. That's what I've learned. But I am sad the poem mentioned choir. Our choir took a hiatus this summer, and now they've changed the time and I can't go. I'm very sad.

adriandgreg said...

Hey- I am sorry I haven't read your blog in awhile. I am glad I did today because I needed to read this post for sure. And I was excited to read about Evelyn getting sealed! Wow! That is going to be awesome. You are awesome Deanna-such a great lady doing so many wonderful things for those around you. I miss you!