When I lived in Provo (Aug.1999-May 2008, minus 20 months in between for the mish) I could NOT wait for Spring every year. Winter seemed to last forever.
Savannah is the exact opposite. I can NOT wait for Fall. Summer seems to last forever. I want to wear pants. I haven't worn pants since April (and that was when we were in Cherokee for a week).
Today Vince had his 18 month checkup. As we got out of the car guess what we spied all over the ground underneath an oak tree? Acorns!!! That's the first sign of Fall. Azure and I were so, so, excited. Azure would have filled her pockets if she had any. Instead she picked one up and held it in her hand for most of the duration of the doctor visit. This is a happy day. Of course, temps won't get down into the high 70's until late September but, at least there are acorns on the ground. Right, right?!
Back to the doctor visit and a little update on Vince- He is 21 lbs and 30 inches. He got 2 shots while I nursed him. I only thought to nurse my babies while they get poked after I had Vince. I wish I had done it with Azure. It helps soo much! He only cried for less than a minute. He is also walking 95% of the time now.
This is beginning to be a random post but, I might as well report that since Charles is in the Bishopric he had a chance to be in charge of a Bishop Youth Discussion (kind of like a fireside, yet more informal) 2 Sundays ago. We were so thrilled to host it in our very own home. Having 10 young women and men here including leaders and parents was another testament that we made the right decision to move. We could have never fit all those people in our last place.
The topic was Facebook and texting. We had a wonderful, wonderful discussion with the youth about the pros and cons of both. It was so refreshing to be among the youth again. How I miss my girls! Though a lot of "my girls" are in Relief Society now. Crazy. Anyways, Charles challenged them to not log onto FB or text for a week. He made them a daily chart of activities they could do instead of checking FB or texting including: invite a friend to dinner, call a grandparent, read a book, do something nice for someone, etc.
The basis of the discussion came from this talk from Elder Bednar. Wow. It is one of my favorites on the topic of media. Worth a re-read or listen. We, of course, went along with the challenge as well. It wasn't hard to not text b/c I never text anyways but, abstaining from FB was a little difficult. After the challenge was over and I went back on FB for the first time I noticed how subconsciously anxious it makes me. I knew I didn't really like FB to begin with but, pinpointing the anxious feelings was a real self-discovery. Now, I'm really limiting my time on there because I don't like to feel anxious.
The reward for completing the challenge was a cookie for each day. You could get up to 2 cookies per day if you completed the other activities in addition to abstaining from FB and texting. Last Saturday Charles and I baked about 200 cookies. At first it was a bit stressful. But, after we put the kids to bed and made our 2nd big batch it was fun. I thought, "We should take pics," but, this thought came during the stressful period and then it never came to fruition during the fun part.
The youth did great! There were a lot of cookies redeemed. And almost all of them get the grand prize which is a shopping trip to Goodwill. The boys get a tie and the girls get either a skirt or a dress. I love the youth! I really hope I can be in YW's again at some point. Maybe when Azure turns 12 :)




1 comment:
That sounds awesome! I LOVE the challenge. I would die without texting. Although mine is probably not the same kind as the kind teenagers do, I still rely on it a lot.
Every part of that story made me happy--having everyone in your house; remembering that talk; the challenge (genius to do it by days, so you can still make it even if you fail one day); the cookie baking; the Goodwill trip; everything. :)
Can I have a cookie for every day I don't look at any blog?
Post a Comment