Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Surprise!

Last Sunday we had a bit of a surprise when a member of our stake presidency called us into his "office" (which was really the Employment Specialist room). First, he met with Charles separately. Then with me separately. And then with us together. I love that our church leadership involves both spouses when extending a calling. When he announced the calling for Charles as the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric I reached over, grabbed his hand and gave him a gentle squeeze. He squeezed back. And then I felt tears of gratitude, of humility, and a little pride. Is it possible to feel humility and pride at the same time? I think so. Thoughts?

We are in this together.  I guess this is one of the reasons we didn't go to Albuquerque or Tampa. The Lord wanted Charles to be the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric here in Savannah. He wanted us to grow and develop and learn better how to give Christlike service. I'm grateful for a God who knows what we need better than what we think we need.

And though imperfect, my husband is worthy and willing to accept this calling. He is a man that both I and the Lord can depend upon. That's why I feel a little pride. I'm glad he is mine. But, even more glad that he loves the Lord more than he loves me.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome! What a fun new adventure. Good luck with the kids. :)

Maren B said...

My sister said that her marriage made a big leap forward in progress when her husband was called to the bishopric. Hope it is such a positive experience for you guys, as well!

Sarah said...

I can agree totally with the humility and pride sentiment. I felt the same way. You will be so blessed. Just remember that when he gone for the third night in the same week and the kids are melting down;) It truly is a wonderful experience and I am happy for you guys!

Emily Wing Smith said...

It is interesting how often pride and humility go hand-in-hand. Especially when we are taught not to be prideful. :) I guess I think of the feeling as being honored--honored that the Lord trusts me, my family, to do His work. I am thinking of you!

Line said...

I felt those same things when saia was called to the bishopric--pride and humility. Its totally possible to feel both when the pride is a positive one (if that makes sense :).

Anyway, just wanted to let u know that in the two months saia has been in the bishopric, I have already felt our marriage strengthen. :)

So we were yw pres at the same time and now our husbands r in bishoprics at the same time. Cool!

Jamie said...

That's great! One thing that might help with the kids during sacrament meeting---our bishop lets his kids take turns sitting on his lap during sacrament meeting. Maybe (if you need to) you could do the same thing. I think it's adorable that our bishop does it, and I know his wife appreciates it (she's got 3 others with her on the bench). :)

Unknown said...

That's fun! I hope things go well for the both of you with it. Dale was only in a counselor position when I had Will and it wasn't so tricky since it was a BYU singles ward, and everyone loved that we had a baby ... so he just got passed around, lol. It'd be tricky with other kids and in a "normal" ward. I hope things go well for you both though.