Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Our big 4 yr old

*Disclaimer* The auto-focus on our camera is broken so these pics are not what they could be. So sad!

Since we've moved into a bigger place we've had the privilege of inviting more people into our home since there is actually space enough to do so! Azure loves an audience so this has been good practice for her. With each new person we've had over in the last month or so she likes to put on a pretty entertaining act. She usually does this when it's just us but, she seems to up the ante and go a little more over the top with company around.

Clearly she gets this from me. And it's actually quite fulfilling to be able to see what I was like when I was this age. I feel like I understand who I really am from watching her. Isn't it amazing that we both depend upon one another to fulfill our own individual eternal destinies? There is no doubt in my mind that we were together before coming to this earth. Our existences have been intertwined since the beginning of time.

She has a very keen sense of humor. She likes to say, "No way. I don't think so," and then do this fake laugh where she squints her eyes. She cracks everyone up. She is a total clown. She wins people over by first making them laugh (which she also gets from her Daddy).

She loves to write documents in Word. This is what she wrote the other day: Azure 4 Vince 1. She can spell at least 10 words on her own including her and Vince's name. She is a bit of a perfectionist and often throws fits if she doesn't write a word or a letter right the first time. This has been challenging to deal with.

So, onto her birthday....

The night before we had put up black out curtains on her window to see if it would help her sleep longer. ( Though she rarely wakes up before 8am) She had previously told me that she did NOT want them up and that if we put them up she would rip them off. So, upon finding them in the morning she was very upset and started to cry. I heard her crying coming down the stairs and thought, "Oh no! She's already crying on her birthday." After asking her what was wrong, I tried to distract her by saying, "Guess what?! Today is your birthday! Happy birthday! Do you want to open your presents?" Her pouty face immediately turned to a grin and she rushed over to her presents. Last year she got way too much stuff so this year we asked her friends not to bring presents to her party.
She had a nice stack of presents from her grandparents and Aunt Tally and us so it was still plenty. Then she happily played with her new toys while Charles and I got the house, the cake, and other food items ready for her party. As simple as I do parties, they are always stressful for me. (I don't do favors, elaborate spreads, or matchy-matchy decor.)

More silly faces


The not-so-pretty but great tasting cake!




We told her when she turned 4 she had to stop sucking her thumb. Her response? "I don't want to be 4. I'm still 3."



Azure had requested a carousel cake probably the day after her 3rd birthday. After looking at elaborate carousel cakes online I decided there was no way I could pull it off so I opted for a 3 tiered homemade cake with a carousel cake topper on it. I oked this first with Azure and she said it was fine. I used the same cake recipe as last year except with almond extract again and it's one of the best cakes I've ever had! The 2 bottom layers I did a butter cream frosting with lemon extract and the top layer with Nutella as the frosting. The cake itself didn't look too great but, good golly it is delicious. Charles also made a fantastic strawberry frozen yogurt made with Greek yogurt in the ice cream maker. Thank you Sarah for the recipe!

Azure wanted to make bracelets at the party so that we did. Except she was the only one who didn't end up making one! Then we watched a slideshow I made for her. I'd post it but, the music didn't turn out the way I wanted. I think I'm going to start making the slideshow a tradition for birthdays from now on. They are so fun!

After the slideshow it was time to sing to the birthday girl! We all basked in the 2 full minutes of complete silence as all the kids ate their cake and ice cream. Luxurious I tell ya! We had all different guests than last years party due to so many friends moving away.

After her friends left we headed to the mall so that Azure could ride the carousel. Then we let her pick a restaurant to eat dinner. After spending all day (and the previous night) in the kitchen making a 3 layer cake and homemade ice cream I certainly wasn't making dinner! She chose McDonald's because of their play place. She actually wanted to go to Chick-Fil-A for the same reason but, it was a couple miles further so for convenience sake, Charles talked her into McDonald's.

All in all I think she had a good day. So, that makes it a success!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

"And it's actually quite fulfilling to be able to see what I was like when I was this age. I feel like I understand who I really am from watching her. Isn't it amazing that we both depend upon one another to fulfill our own individual eternal destinies? There is no doubt in my mind that we were together before coming to this earth. Our existences have been intertwined since the beginning of time."

That is so beautifully written and it helps me to rethink my relationship with my sometimes difficult little daughter! Thank you and happy birthday to Azure!

Sarah said...

I am so glad you liked the frozen yogurt as well:)

Sarah said...

Awe... she is so sweet. What a wonderful daughter. Way to go on the cake. I hate doing cakes, so hopefully my kids will never want anything fancy like. They get cupcakes for life.

Maren B said...

Happy Birthday to Azure! I can't believe these kids are already turning 4.