A little intro. I was really skinny in high school. Then I gained about 20 lbs or more my freshman yr of college and I didn't lose it until.... I had a baby! What?! I gave away all my size 3 pants when I was pregnant with Azure. I told myself, "Let's face it, you're going to have a baby. You will never be a size 3 again." Well, I was really kicking myself 2 months later when none of my size 10 or 8 pants fit anymore and I was a size 3! I could NOT believe it. I had just had a baby.
I'm not sharing this to make anyone feel bad. I realize that every body is different and some never lose their baby weight. I've only shared the above to point out the fact that there was indeed a time that I struggled with my weight.
Here are a few things I've learned in the last 6 yrs or so.
Some say cut down on carbs when trying to lose weight. I say eat a bunch of whole grain carbs. We've replaced white rice with brown and try to eat whole wheat everything else: bread, couscous, pasta, flour, etc. This may be gross but it took me awhile to understand this- the more fiber you eat, the more you poop, the more you poop, the more weight you lose.
- Eat as many raw foods as you can
We still need a lot of improvement in this area. But, Azure and I for the past month have drank a "green smoothie" almost everyday. Check
here for more info and recipes. My fave is the blueberry-banana monster. We use almond milk. One fantastic way to eat raw foods! And it's delicious!
- Find something you like to do for exercise
Most people's excuse for not exercising is that they don't have time. For those weeks that I just can't make it to the gym or to the park to run I consciously tighten my abs with every movement I make. If you're ever done yoga or pilates that will make more sense to you.
I'm no expert, these are just some things that have worked for me. Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions.
One more thing- one person's "healthy" may look completely different than another person's "healthy". If you are eating right and exercising then it really doesn't matter what size pants you wear. Our bodies are amazing gifts! One of the main reasons we are on this earth is to obtain a physical body. The joy we feel from being healthy is worth every effort.
5 comments:
D,great tips.What is your take these ideas: 1.eating an entire large pineapple pizza at 10pm after a ball game(Not that I did that..my uh..FRIEND did it)2. Wearing an extra size bigger uniform to cover a bad body? 3.Inventin a WHOLE GRAIN flavored sunflower seed?Eddie C
Ha ha, you're funny Eddie!
That's fun too read. Thanks for sharing some good, positive tips.
Excellent. I, too, thought I'd be doomed after having kids, but all three times, I've gotten back down to my wedding weight. (Nursing is a boon for me.) Healthy foods really help... it's so much harder to overeat on spinach, or watermelon, or whole wheat bread (unlike potato chips, white rice and ice cream). So, good for you, Deanna!
thanks for the tips, deanna! you really do look amazing! i have not been able to shed the 10-15 extra lbs since having babies, but i know it's mostly because i need to eat healthier. :)
Post a Comment