Sometime ago I came across a "dot/square game" (not really sure what it's called) in one of my old church notebooks. It was from April General Conference 2007. We had gone up to Salt Lake to watch it. We didn't have tickets into the actual conference center but, we watched it in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.
Between sessions Charles and I played this dot game. I smiled wistfully looking at it. Charles had beat me savagely. When was the last time we played a dot game? That very April 2007, almost 4 years ago. In Sacrament meetings as we used to sit just the two of us, we would rub each others backs and massage each others hands. Now, our hands are occupied doing other things- rummaging through bags to find snacks, sippy cups, diapers, wipes, toys. Wiping noses, chubby little hands, picking up spills, messes, the like.
Sometimes in the midst of the madness, our eyes meet and we give each other a wide eyed exasperated look and I secretly wish that it was still just the 2 of us- that we could sit through a meeting distraction free and massage each others backs and hands. But, I know had we stayed in that stage of our lives our love would not be as deep as it is now.
It makes me sad when I hear people talking about marriage as a ball and chain. Though, I know that bad marriages can be viewed as such. Marriage has been the wind beneath my wings. I could not be the woman God intended me to be without Charles.
"[Spouses] will find that their combined strength is more than double the strength of either one of them alone." (Hugh B. Brown) Life's greatest joys are made manifest in family life, in MARRIAGE!
Besides the quote at the top by Pres. Eyring, (which I think is my most favorite) here are some other favorites:






3 comments:
I love this post. Especially the part about trying to sit through meetings and just enjoy. I totally agree though that children take love to a whole new level.
Aw, I like this post Deanna. I needed that!
I loved reading this post! Since Hannah has been born it's been harder for me to put the effort into everything I need to. It's a good reminder for me that as fun as that (short) period of time with just the two of us was, we've grown closer because of what we've gone through and who we have with us now. :)
Post a Comment