Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fall Recap Part 3: Cross-country Road Trip

For those of you who don't know, we are currently at my parent's house in CA for Charles' 3rd rotation in City of Industry (30 miles from their house). Since he needed a car to commute everyday we drove across the country...again.

I packed up the car with all our belongings for 7 wks BY MYSELF since Charles was in Baxley. I was pretty stressed out about this, but I did it and I felt pretty proud of myself for doing so.

We did the trip in 5 days and 4 nights. The first night we spent in Birmingham, AL. Second night in Oklahoma City, OK. Third night in Albuerque, NM. The last night in Yucca, AZ with Miah and Monica. It was remarkable to watch the terrain change gradually from the tree dense low country to desert mountain plains. Even though we wanted to pull our hair out multiple times and asked ourselves why we didn't fly, it was beautiful to see such diverse topography of our beautiful country.

Worst moment: Vince's blow out in his carseat and trying to clean up the mess in a bathroom with a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling, on the floor.

Best moments: Driving at sunset EVERY night for 4 nights and seeing amazing sunsets as we drove west.
Sunset in Miah and Monica's backyard

Unexpected happy moments: Seeing snow at the TX/OK border and walking through it in Amarillo. AND seeing Charlie's face light up when we came upon the first western mountain range and say "We belong in the west!"
We loved the sunset in Arkansas as we drove through the Ozarks. Hopefully we can take another trip back there someday to explore further.

We are gearing up for our trip back to Savannah on Sunday.

2 comments:

Maren B said...

WOw, you two are brave to drive across the country with 2 babes. Glad you survived it.

Ruth said...

Hooray for the Ozarks!
And, even though I really can't imagine doing it with 2 little ones, I really do love driving across this country. It's so, so amazing to me how varied and wonderful it is. And it makes me a little sad the a large majority of Americans never see most of it. I think you should have to do a cross country drive to be an American citizen. (Obviously I'm not serious, but I sure wish more people got to see how amazing it is.)