Charles bought me the Sound of Music on DVD for my birthday (by the way I had a birthday and am now 29, yikes!) so I introduced Azure to it. She absolutely loves it! It makes my heart happy to hear her singing Do-Re-Mi, My Favorite Things, Sixteen going on Seventeen, and So Long, Farewell as she prances around the house with her dolls. She's growing up with the songs that I grew up with :)
For our Easter week festivities we checked out Prince of Egypt. That's one of my favorites. It is so powerful. We had a tender moment watching it together when God appears to Moses in the burning bush. The spirit was strong and my eyes started to fill with tears. Azure looked at me with a timid smile and let out a quiet sigh that let me know she had felt it too. It's an amazing feeling to know when she is feeling the spirit! I hope to try and teach her to recognize that feeling as she matures.
Because she liked "Moses" (as she called it) so much, we checked out Joseph, King of Dreams (made by the same people). It's not as quality as Prince of Egypt but, it's not too bad. Azure actually loved it though. She would pretend that she had on the coat of many colors and kept shouting, "Judah" or "Come on Judah, Joseph." "Where are all of my brothers?" In the movie Joseph has a dream that one of the sheep from his flock is getting chased by wolves but, for some reason she thought they were sharks. So, she ran around the house saying, "Oh, no. Oh, no. The sharks are getting me!" There truly is never a dull moment in this house :)
Sometime back in November I taught her the "Good Mornin'" song from Singin' in the Rain so I thought I'd check that out too. The actual movie is a bit stranger and somewhat risque than I remembered so we just watched the Good Mornin' and the Singin' in the Rain songs over and over and over again. I sang Good Mornin' in my show choir in High School so it was fun for me to hear it again so much. And I just love the song Singin' in the Rain. I used to listen to it all the time when I worked at Fossil, where they only played '40s music. It's one of my favorite musical genres ever!
Azure has hit the terrible two stage just barely now that she's approaching 3 and a lot of days she is hard to handle. With a lot of fervent prayer and fasting I've received patience, empathy, and love for her where there was impatience, selfishness, and anger before. I am still learning and know that raising children will help refine me into the woman that God desires me to be, and the woman that I want to be. When I am about to lose it, it helps to remember these fun times we've had together. And plus, she's only 2 right?
And such a darling one :)




4 comments:
How fun! I love showing movies to my girls that I grew up with. Right now, their favorite songs to sing are from Annie and Pippi Longstocking. :)
I really think we should change the saying to terrible threes. Way to find the positive during the trial of parenting. I totally agree that even though it is super tough to deal with fits and tantrums, it does make us better people.
Yep, the threes are definitely worse than the twos. But you're right, it's these experiences that help us grow!
My favorite song from "Singin' in the Rain" is only in the stage version, and now I can't remember what it was called. It had this kind of dark undercurrent in it that I thought was interesting. And were you referring to Cyd Charisse when you say risque? She was the dancer with the cigarette holder in that one long scene.
I just spent about 30 minutes finding the name of that song. It was "You Stepped Out of a Dream."
Post a Comment