Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Almost back to Savannah

After Nauvoo and Carthage, we headed to Springfield, IL, home of Abraham Lincoln. We took a tour of his home. Again, I was reminded of how I'd really like to be a tour guide. We'll see if that ever happens.Lincoln's desk where he corresponded via letters with political leaders at the beginning of the Civil War, before the inauguration and moving to the White House. I really admire Lincoln and his example of endurance. He was a good man. He boldly testified of his belief in God, and his reliance on prayer and faith to help run our country. I wish our political leaders today still did that.

We had lunch at an old house renovated into a cafe. It was a "cute" atmosphere and the food was delicious. Wish I remembered the name to recommend to all who pass through Springfield, IL. Eating good food on the road for a nauseated pregnant woman was such a blessing.

Our next stop was St. Louis. This was our 2nd time there, but our first time being there together. I first went for the film shoot, which I realize I haven't written about. Charles had also passed through on his way to Idaho Falls with Azure. We stopped in The Hill, where my great, great grandparents lived. I absolutely love this neighborhood! The fire hydrants are painted red, green, and white to represent the Italian flag :) I showed Charles the lot where my great grandparents were killed in a house fire saving my grandmother's life. (More about this story on the show that you'll have to watch come October!)

We also stopped at 2 cemeteries where my family is buried.

It was an emotional day, coming from Nauvoo and Carthage reveling so much in church history, to go to St. Louis and revel in my own personal family history. One thing seemed certain- we owe so much to those who have gone before us.

We spent the night that night in Tennessee. Which means we drove through 5 states in one day: Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee. Wow! We were exhausted. I'm grateful to Charles who drove most of the way back. He drove all that day until 1am when we reached our hotel, with no complaining. He is a good man.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Okay, seriously? You're still going on all these trips?? How are you guys able to do this? I'm way jealous if you can't tell. :) Looks like so much fun!!

Sarah said...

Wow. You guys have done a lot of travels, and it makes me really want to go back to these sites with my hubby/family. I haven't been for a long time. I was practically in tears as I read your posts. What amazing stories. I also have a desire to go see where many of my ancestors were buried. What fun adventures you are having.

Stefani M. said...

You had to drive?!? Quentin prefers driving over kid-car-entertainment-feeding duty. And 5 states in one day is awesome. We do our drive to SC in one day--which is 4 complete states (LA, MS, AL, GA), and part of 2 (TX and SC)--but when we're done, we're at our destination, not a hotel (I hate staying in motels). The last day's drive was probably pretty easy then? (Just from TN to GA.)

Bonnie said...

Yay for vacations and exploring family and United States history! (and good food....mmmm)

Deanna said...

I enjoy driving. I wanted to drive.

purplehill said...

Deanna & Charles:

Thank you so much for photographing the cemetery where our granparents are buried. I've never seen their resting place, before. It really touched me. I showed these photos to Joseph, as well. Thanks again.

Love Aunt Paula

Aunt Tally said...

Can you email me the pics of great nana and papa's graves?

Melissa said...

Five states in one day?Phew! I bet that was exhausting. Thanks for telling me I can even pull of my least favorite shirt - that was nice. And I missed the mountains when I lived in Savannah, too. If they had mountains, then I might be able to live their permanently. Too bad for Savannah.

Just Me said...

I'm still alive. One day I'll post again. I haven't been checking anyones blogs either. Love to hear about your travels. I'm glad you guys had such a great time, but you tend to have fun no matter what you are doing!