Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

On Thursday, September 29, Charlie finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Azure. The night before I was at Target doing some shopping alone and came across a Wonka Chocolate Bar on clearance for a dollar something. Knowing they were about to finish the book, I bought it so they could eat it together in celebration of finishing it.

We told her we had a surprise for her and that every child who finishes the book gets a gift from Mr. Willy Wonka. "What is it?!" she exclaimed. When I brought out the chocolate bar to them she asked, "Is this really from Mr. Wonka? From his factory? How did you get it?"

Then we asked her to open it very carefully to see if there was a golden ticket inside. It was such a fun experience! We got her reaction on video. She was so excited! Doing stuff like this for our children reminds me how much I enjoy being a parent. Such a privilege and a joy! (when I remember moments like these :)

We plan on watching the movie (the old version as we already watched the new version with her before reading it) as soon as we can get it from the library. We've now started reading her 3rd chapter book: Charlotte's Web. We hope to instill in her a love for reading. So far, so good.

An update on the last post about her reading- she has slowly gotten over her fear of making mistakes. I have been making a conscious effort to point out the mistakes I make (losing my temper, making a wrong turn, forgetting something) to show her that everyone makes mistakes and that it's apart of life. Heavenly Father sent us here to learn from our mistakes. I think it's been helping her to feel okay making mistakes while reading; because she has been brave to tackle words like: kingdom, softly, telephone.

She's even been reading "Goodnight Moon" all on her own to Vince! She usually gets every single word right, but I think she's mostly reading from memory. 

Yay for reading!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay for reading!! We did the same thing with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and showed our kids the old movie and Charlotte's Web too. It is so wonderful to see them learn and grow. You are such a fun mom!