Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentines

My mother loves Valentines Day. (She just told me it was her favorite holiday.) Growing up, I thought it more to be like a friendship day, which I guess is probably because of her influence which I am thankful for. In college I remember being perplexed at sulking single roommates on Valentines who announced the holiday as "Single Awareness Day". "But, it's not just about romantic love," I would exclaim, "It's a celebration of family and friend love." I want to celebrate Valentines Day not just with my true love but, also my children, friends and extended family. 

I am not a baker. I've just emerged into the baking world this past year. And I am not a crafter by any means. But, usually on Valentines I have an inkling to be a baker and a crafter. I usually like to make heart shaped sugar cookies to deliver to friends. I loved making valentines in high school using conversation hearts somewhat like a candy gram. I especially LOVE the Spanish conversation hearts. Soo awesome.

Since Charlie would be out of the country on Valentines Day he took me out on a surprise date the night of our race. Our good friends the Bryces babysat for us. He took me downtown to Bay St. and we ate at the Shrimp Factory. Of course, it had cleared up and had stopped raining once the race was done. It was a nice evening. Going on dates with your spouse on a regular basis without children is so important. Really keeps the love alive. And it's a commandment from our prophets. Don't you just love commandments that you are excited about keeping?!

On the actual day of Valentines Chelsea and I decided to have a party for our little girls who are BFFs. Their trio has become a quartet. While we were in CA, the Coopers moved into our ward who also happen to have a 3 yr old daughter named Evie.

I made these same sugar cookies with this frosting except subbed vanilla extract for almond. Highly superior in my opinion. They were yummy. I learned however that using lemon extract isn't equal to using lemon zest. I also made a strawberry salad with spinach and sliced almonds.



 Look at those eyes! Future heart breaker indeed.

5 comments:

Nana Lama said...

They are gorgeous!!!

Aunt Tally said...

I miss my babies!!!!!!!!!

Stefani M. said...

We do a more family centered Valentine's Day. I've never been a big celebrator of it, probably because it was always associated with couples, so not very fun (never had a Valentine until after I got married, actually LOL).

P.s. Julian was born at 10:23am CST. :)

Melissa said...

So fun! You sure know how to throw a good valentines party.

Line said...

Cute and festive valentine's day! :) And, dates with your spouse really are important. I tell saia its important, not just for our relationship, but also for my sanity. :) Happy valentine's day!