Rain was in the forecast from 8am to noon- the exact time of the race. Though, it was only 50 degrees. 20 degrees warmer than the Rex Lee Run. And I think it was 35-40 degrees when we ran the Turkey Trot. In comparison 50 degrees was warm. So, I purchased a waterproof poncho for Azure. I couldn't find one small enough for Vince so I put his legs in a plastic bag :) I really wished that I had one of those weather proof shields for our stroller, however it was only available online and it was the day before the race.
Rain or shine we were pumped. Running itself is exhilarating but, the energy surrounding a race with hundreds of people lined up at the start line is phenomenal. I am completely addicted to running 5Ks! I told Charles I want to run one every month. If they were free I totally would.
I was pretty pleased with my selection of running songs that I downloaded just for the race, they kept me pumped the entire time. I chose "The Distance" by Cake to start off with the words, "Reluctantly crouched at the starting line...the green light flashes, the flags go up. Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup. They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank... reckless and wild, they pour through the turns. Their prowess is potent and secretly stern. [S]he's going the distance. [S]he's going for speed."
Very appropriate lyrics.
Again, this race was a spiritual experience for me. I was near tears many times. (Not because I was in pain or wanted it to end). Halfway through the race I saw a woman about my age running with no legs, she had 2 prosthetics. It was so inspiring. I had a lot of analogies running through my mind pertaining to the gospel as I ran. One of them was about repentance. I was wearing a shirt, a fleece pull-over, and a rain jacket. Half way through I started to get pretty hot and the rain was subsiding somewhat, so I took off the rain jacket. I didn't realize how heavy it was since it was wet but, once I took it off I felt so much lighter. It definitely quickened my pace for a bit. A lot of times we are carrying around heavy burdens that we need to turn over to the Lord. We need to apologize to someone and make amends somehow. When we do that we literally feel light.
"Come unto me, all ye that blabour and are heavy laden, and I will give you crest... For my yoke is aeasy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28,30).Charlie had to start the half before I finished the 5K so unfortunately he wasn't there at the finish line. I did a good sprint and finished in 33 mins again. Well, "again" if my time was really 33 mins the last race. Pushing a double jogging stroller against wind and rain with a 30 lb 3 yr old and a 20 lb 1 yr old is just as bad as running up hills, just so you know.
We were able to see Daddy just before the finish line.
I am loving looking at these pics of him since I haven't seen him or heard his voice since last Sat. He's in Guatemala and will hopefully write a post on his experiences there when he returns.
And here is the photo they took of me when I finished. We're thinking of doing another one next month :)








1 comment:
Congrats, that's awesome! I want to do a 5k...the last one I did was when I was at BYU. It's like you said, if only they were free!!
Post a Comment