Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving

We drove up to North Carolina to spend Thanksgiving with Evelyn. It was a 5 hr drive, not too incredibly bad. We realized that Azure needs something more than just a few toys to keep her occupied for that long though. We will be showing her DVDs on future road trips.

The day after Thanksgiving we drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway. A-MAZING. I had driven on it once before with Ev in August 2004. And it was green and lush like this:

These are the Blue Ridge Mountains which are part of the Appalachian mountain range. Most of the leaves had already fallen off the trees but, had we gone a few weeks earlier it would have looked like this: Seeing mountains again stirred within our hearts a desire to always be close to them. We've decided we will permanently settle down where there are mountains nearby.

We drove to a cute town nestled in the mountains called Boone, home of Applachian State University.

Exploring the campus.

We also enjoyed lengthy conversations with Ev and her mom, playing Ticket to Ride, and eating chocolate chip cookies and ice cream, along with lots of Thanksgiving leftovers.

5 comments:

Aunt Tally said...

She is so cute in that pink hoodie. I wanna pick her up and give her a kiss!

Layla said...

I miss the mountains too! We have here, but not like Provo and Seattle. Azure is super cute! I hope we get to meet her in person someday.

Just Me said...

It all sounds like so much fun!

Stefani M. said...

So close, and yet so far (from each other for day or two). At Azure's age, I had to sit in the back with Haley to entertain her. But Haley's more used to long trips... like 10 hours once or twice a year since she was 4 months old. 16 hours (which was really 17 1/2 there and 19 back with stops), was pushing it, but next time, we'll do DVDs... mostly for Julian (who had a harder time doing the long drive than Haley did). When Azure gets to be three or so, it should be easier. But, by then, you'll probably be in the same situation I'm in now (as in, more than one child). Oh, well. Thanks goodness for dual screen DVD players! Glad you had a good time on your vacation as well.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful drive! Scott and I never made it there. We left Georgia with a greater appreciation for mountains, too - because of the lack there of around Savannah. I think it is hard to grow up in the West and then not have any mountains living in the south.

So I just realized you and I have a common friend. I saw your blog linked on my friend Tara's blog. What a small world! How do you know each other? I'm assuming from BYU?