This evening we wanted to take a drive to the Boise National Forest to see some land that we are considering purchasing for a home. Charles has been up there a few times, yet I have not. But, just before dinner Zeke was running around screaming, biting Vince, and throwing things around. We knew if we made the drive, he would just scream the whole way and everyone would be miserable so we decided not to go.
He is almost 2 and a half and he's been doing this since he was 9 months old or so. (the screaming in the car) This is a long stage and we're tired of it. It's amazing that we take as many trips as we do with him. It gets increasingly more difficult. I am always in awe to see how calm other children are his age. I guess Vince was pretty laid back, at least in the car.
The passing of time is such a strange phenomenon. Last night, I emptied out my Caboodle that I've had since 1995 or so. I had old makeup in there from 8th grade! As I opened the lid to my old lip glosses the scent overcame me and I was transported back to those times. Was that really 20 years ago?! 20 years ago I was 14.
So, I know that this stage will pass in the blink of an eye, but it doesn't make it any easier now. And, it is so unhelpful for people to say "Enjoy every moment." I think it's not only ok, but that it is healthy to acknowledge that things are hard and disappointing.
I vow to never say to young mothers when I am a grandmother, "Enjoy every moment." Some moments suck and that's ok. That is life. I want to look back and remember the good more than the bad, yet I don't want to forget that this is hard. And, even though it's hard, I still feel deeply satisfied with my life which is strange.
Time hurry up, time slow down...





No comments:
Post a Comment