Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 26, 2013

Easter

It takes a lot work to make a holiday special. As a child, you never really notice all that goes into it. But, as a parent now of 3 children, holidays are a lot of work. Special meals means lots of cooking. Fun, meaningful activities take a lot of prep work and planning. And, we don't have any extended family around so most of it is up to me and Charles to do. And women are usually the tradition keepers in their families.

Easter egg bath on Easter Eve- new tradition!
Zekiel watching the bath fun and wishing he were big enough to join them. Next year, man!

Charles was in charge (ha!) of the resurrection rolls this year. Last year was the first time we made them and we used the crescent rolls out of a can which leaves a nasty feeling/flavor on the roof of my mouth. Yes, they are easier but, we have a bread maker and decided to make our own rolls. Charles is the bread master and he did a fabulous job with the rolls. They were delicious.

We wanted to make them ahead of time the night before but, we ran out of time. I was asked to speak on Easter Sunday by my wonderful husband :) Ok, I volunteered. I love speaking in church. Call me crazy. Then, I was also asked to sing. AND I had to prepare a lesson for my Sunday School class. I was released as Primary Chorister last May (but, was still filling in regularly until Aug) and got called last Oct to teach Sun Sch to the 16 & 17 yr olds. I was so happy to be with the youth again! Anyways, I realized on Easter Eve that I had committed to doing too much and was kind of stressing out.

Charles helped me to see that it would be okay to have our resurrection rolls when we got home from church for lunch instead of breakfast. I'm grateful that he helps me be flexible when I am being rigid for some reason.

At church we found out that our good friend Becky who Azure and Vince just adore was in the hospital. Right away I knew we should visit her. Seeing her there really made our Easter feel special, like the real meaningful holiday that it is. We brought her some Easter cupcakes that the kids decorated with special Springtime liners and toothpick banners that I got on clearance last yr after Easter. Charles followed my directions to make cream cheese lemon frosting.

We had a lovely dinner with Theresa and her in-laws who came from CA. We followed tradition and read the Easter story in eggs.

For our Easter gift this year, I bought caterpillars for our butterfly habitat that I bought last year for Easter. This is our new Easter tradition!

Watching these little guys (why are caterpillars referred to as male and butterflies female? thoughts?) grow and get into the chrysalides was emotional. I cried a few times. When they have grown full size the caterpillars crawl up to the top upside down and hang there. Then their body starts shaking like crazy and- get this- the bottom 1/4 of their body falls off! Did you know that?! I didn't. I imagine that that probably isn't a pleasant feeling. We could see their eyes and little faces as caterpillars. When they emerge as butterflies, their eyes and their face looks completely different! This was one point when I got emotional. Our potential is so much more than we can even imagine. If you told that caterpillar part of it's body would just fall off, and that it would grow beautiful colored wings and fly- it would probably boggle it's little mind. We are divine beings and our potential is limitless if we have faith in that Creator who created us.

Looking forward to teaching these lessons over and over again to our children (and myself!) by watching this amazing metamorphosis. You can order them here.

Oh, and I had a birthday. Now, I'm 32. Which is kinda weird. I told someone I was 31 last week and then said, "Wait. No, I just had a birthday. I'm 32 now. I think." I can see the signs of aging in my face and it's a little unnerving. Sometimes I still feel like I'm 16, and then I see a picture of myself and I'm like, "Wow. I'm getting old." We still have lots of wonderful years ahead, right? The best is yet to come!

And one last thing- last year on my birthday I made a wish...

and part of it came true that very week ;) The other part came true on Christmas day :) Remember, the Lord fulfills His promises! To you, and me. 

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Aw, I love all the pictures. So fun to see you guys. I miss being so close to you!

Catherine said...

I love this Easter post! It sounds like you had a wonderful Easter with lots of reminders of Christ. I loved the part about the butterflies...I didn't know that part about part of their body falling off! I miss you!

Erin said...

I get that aging part. I know you're much younger than I am (I'm 43 today!), but it's always a little disconcerting to notice how we're aging, huh? I guess I just hope I'm getting better with age. :)