Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 5, 2012

Family Vacation Part 2

Tuesday morning we ate at Noodles & Co. before getting on the subway and again lamented the fact that Savannah is lacking in upscale fast food restaurants. Is there a term for places like that- where you don't have to tip?

Once we got back into DC, Azure and I returned to the Natural History Museum so we could go into the butterfly garden. This was my favorite part of the trip. For Easter 2011 I bought her a Fancy Nancy book about Nancy visiting a butterfly garden and having an azure butterfly land on her. Since then we have wanted to see one ourselves and go to a butterfly garden. Now was our chance.

We had to reserve tickets and then wait for our time slot. Luckily the entomologists were around the corner with live samples. Azure got to hold a Madagascar beetle (fancy name for HUGE cockroach), a caterpillar, and a grasshopper.
This is not Azure's hand. Unfortunately Charles had the camera, thus no pics of our own.

I was impressed she wanted to hold this guy. I certainly didn't want to!

We had a great experience inside the butterfly garden. Azure really wanted a butterfly to land on her, especially an azure butterfly.  A couple landed on me and I was just as excited as Azure because I had never seen a butterfly so close up before. I could see their long, spirally tongue so clearly. God's creations are so magnificent. It was humbling to remember how attentive to detail God is. If He cares so much about the anatomy of a butterfly, surely He cares about us. And not only our anatomy!

We were about to exit the garden and still not one butterfly had landed on Azure. I could see the disappointment in her eyes. Having just felt that wave of love and truth, I suggested that we pray together to ask Heavenly Father to let a butterfly land on her. So, we waited and waited. I began to get a little anxious whether or not this prayer would be answered and trying to decide how I was going to explain that sometimes we pray for things that aren't God's will. But, finally one did land on her. Thank goodness!

Afterwards we headed over to the American History Museum, which I wish we had had more time at. I really enjoyed it but, only got to see less than half of it. My favorite was the display of the original flag that inspired the song, "The Star-Spangled Banner." They had the music playing as part of the moving display and it was really well done. Definitely played on my emotions and I was sobbing reading about it. I do have a patriotic heart. God bless America! (Please bless us with a life supporting president tomorrow ;)



They had one of the original sunstones from the Nauvoo temple there! I was so surprised! Yay for our church history getting recognized as a big part of American history, because it clearly was!

We ended the night with some yummy Thai food with Cath. It started to rain as we were walking back to our car and we all got soaked.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

We call them fastraunts and they are dining place of choice for our family of loud, energetic children! :)

Sarah said...

I am amazed at all of Heavenly Father's creations too, as well as how he cares for them. What special moments.