Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Orleans & Florida Trip

This year Midyear was in New Orleans (Midyear is a clinical pharmacist convention for networking and continuing education seminars). We are not fond of New Orleans. Trashy. Lewd. Debaucherous. The last time we went in Dec. 2009 we said we would never go again. And there we were, exactly 2 years later.

Charles got into the Black Friday spirit and purchased a 2 screen DVD player to mount on the back of our headrests to decrease the amount of screaming/whining from our lovely children Vince. Best purchase ever made. We had been jimmy-rigging it before using the laptop. The DVD player is MUCH easier.

Our first day in New Orleans we ate beignets at the famous Cafe Du Monde and wandered around town. Later that night we (minus Charlie) met up with Dan and Janine and had dinner with them. Janine was a big help. I was exhausted after carrying Vince around all day. We didn't bring a stroller or a sling.
St. Louis Cathedral


*As I took these pics and was stressing out over tantrums I thought to myself: 'I'm going to post these pics on the blog of our trip and everyone will think that we had such a lovely time but, we DIDN'T!' So, I decided that I would tell you the whole truth about this trip. Since the ordeal in May I have learned that being honest with myself and others is most liberating.*

Vince drove me crazy the ENTIRE trip with his incessant whining. I am NOT loving this stage he's in. (He's actually gotten a lot better the past week and is much more pleasant.) He is really lucky that he's so adorable {those eyes, that smile!} or I'd be tempted to ship him off somewhere. He was sleep deprived but, could never really sleep.

I did get to spend an afternoon with my freshman roommate Cammen who lives in Lafayette. We met up in Baton Rouge for lunch and to let the kids play. Azure had a lot of fun with Kelsie who is almost 4. It's so cool for me to see my children make friends with the children of my old friends; friends I had before we were moms. We're so grown up!

The next day we headed to the aquarium.


I had the brilliant idea to rent a double stroller so I could push them and not worry about them running around. My back was aching from carrying Vince all the previous day. So, I was kind of upset when I handed them my credit card to have them tell me they only accepted cash. Then I watched them push the stroller away into the back. I really wish they would have taken pity on me and just me use it. I know I looked pathetic.
hooT
We tried to do as many fun things as possible while Charlie got to schmooze it up with world renowned pharmacists over 5 course meals (all expenses paid) in the best rated restaurant in New Orleans until the late hours of the night while I sat in the car listening to Vince scream because he was so tired, but wouldn't fall asleep. At least Azure and I listened to some of our favorite Christmas songs and sang together while Vince paused for a couple minutes. To Charlie's credit, he doesn't enjoy schmoozing. So other than the amazing food, he would have rather been with us too.

The last full day we were there, my sanity was hanging by a thread. Am I getting that point across?! Usually I get to take a break from the kids every night when I put them to bed around 7pm, but not this week and I was feeling the lack of any personal time. Big time. So, on a whim I decided that I was going to go do something I wanted to do. Alone. I went to the Italian American Heritage Museum. That was exactly what I needed.

The spirit of Elijah was there FULL FORCE turning my heart to my sweet great, great, grandmother Anna and great, great grandfather Nick. I remembered that New Orleans was the first city they ever saw in the United States when they came off the boat from Sicily. The city I was currently in. What did they think of it? Oh, to imagine the anticipation and hope in their hearts as they walked off and looked around. I was humbled and my bad mood lifted. I felt so incredibly grateful for them. For their bravery. They came here with nothing, knowing no English. They were humble strawberry pickers and worked for hardly anything. I love them for their sacrifices!
I was in a pretty good mood after that. And to top it off we ate muffalettas for dinner.  I'm glad we ended on a good note leaving New Orleans. And then it just kept getting better.

Except for the Baton Rouge Temple being closed. At least we got to add it to our list and we got to sing "I Love to see the Temple" with the kids while walking the grounds. 

So, we kept driving till we got to Pensacola Beach. Gorgeous. This is why we want to live in Florida.

They are too cute to be mad at for long

We had dinner at Carraba's and ordered our 2 favorite meals and shared. A sense of calm washes over me every time I eat salmon and sip lime infused water. The sensual effect is even more powerful when I can gaze directly across from me at Charlie's sweet face. After dinner we did some shopping at the nearby outlets.

 Then we finally arrived at our hotel on Panama City Beach. Things definitely had gone from worst to wonderful over the course of a couple days. I frequently need to remind myself that bad days never last for long.

The view from our room:



I love you Vince, even though you drive me crazy!
A pretty good trip after all.

7 comments:

Papa Lama said...

Hi De, you take really good pictures, the white sand actually looks like snow. Maybe you'll move to Pensacola, me and Mom would love to go there and visit you guys, I read about that part of Florida when I was a boy and I actually would dream of going there. Love, Dad.

Aunt Tally said...

Florida does look pretty awesome...:)

Stefani M. said...

You are not alone. Logan has been driving me crazy lately. Well, they all take turns, but Logan the most. Looks like you had a good "vacation."

Michelle said...

Glad to hear you say that your life isn't perfect.... :-)

Tara said...

I completely understand. My poor Cort has just not been a happy camper for such a long time. Two is such a hard age.

Glad you had some fun moments on your trip. Jealous of the beignets! I went to a journalism conference in New Orleans back in college and definitely did not see the finer part of the city.

Cassie said...

Aw, I love this post and your honesty. I am glad you ended up enjoying your trip! It did look fun :)

Line said...

Deanna, you are awesome! :) Pretty much every family trip has been like this for us--whining kids, spent patience, etc. But then the good ends up outweighing the bad and we go on more family trips. Haha. I am definitely looking forward to our next kid-free trip, though!