*I've never done a repost before but, as I am preparing for Singing Time in Primary on Pioneer Day I kept thinking about this post which expresses so many of the feelings I am having today so I decided to repost this from July 2009.*
The long awaited Nauvoo post...
We arrived in Nauvoo on a Tuesday afternoon and it was raining. Some of our plans were put on hold due to the wetness. Azure did get to dress up like a pioneer though. And we got to play some pioneer games.

We were surprised to find out that Nauvoo doesn't have any quality places to eat. If anyone's up for starting a business, start a Pioneer type food restaurant there and you will do well for yourself! We did find a buffet that wasn't too bad, but Azure had a meltdown during dinner due to her lack of sleep and Charles had to take her out. A man saw him struggling with her and said, "Someday you'll miss these times." I think he's right, but today wasn't that day.
Lest you think we didn't enjoy our time here, the next day was amazing! Everyone was caught up on sleep, and it was a bright, sunny day. Charles went to the temple first, and then I got to go.

What a beautiful temple! The greatest thing about this temple is it's history. It was burned in 1848 by mobs, but rebuilt in 2002. This is the temple that most of the early members of the church received their endowment in and were sealed to their families. That was the strength they needed to make the long trek from here to Salt Lake. Having made eternal covenants here in the temple, bolstered their faith when they had to bury their children, fathers, and mothers, on the plains. Knowing that they were sealed together as a family here in the temple, and that they would be together again in the next life is what helped them to keep on walking, leaving graves behind. How I love and admire them for their faith!

Statue of Joseph and Hyrum on their way to Carthage, never to come back.

The Mississippi River

Joseph and Emma's house

The red brick store, owned by Joseph Smith. The Relief Society was organized here and also the completion of the translation of the Book of Abraham. The first endowments were also given here before the completion of the temple.
We also saw the pageant which we both enjoyed. It was a little late for Azure, but she did okay.

This is a very tender view. As Joseph Smith and those that were with him were led to jail in Carthage, IL, they looked back at the unfinished temple for the last time. I imagine they saw something similar to the above picture.
Along Parley St. as you come to the Mississippi, there are markers with quotes from the Saints as they left Nauvoo for Salt Lake. In regards to the temple, and the above picture, this is one of the most touching:
“I was in Nauvoo on the 26th day of May, 1846, for the last time, and left the city of the Saints feeling that most likely I was taking a final farewell of Nauvoo for this life. I looked upon the temple and City as they receded from view and asked the Lord to remember the sacrifices of his Saints.” -Wilford Woodruff

We, too left Nauvoo via Parley St. on our way to Carthage and could not help but cry tears of sorrow and joy.

More tears were shed in Carthage Jail. We sat in the room where Joseph, his brother Hyrum and other friends were, when the mob broke in, rushed up the stairs, and shot them to death. In front of this window is where Joseph stood.

As he was shot, he fell out this window.

The bullet holes remain in the door. I'm crying again as I write this post. Words can't express my deep love for Joseph and the life he lived. I understand better my relationship with Jesus Christ because of Joseph's example and teachings. I know he was truly a prophet of God. I didn't need to go to Nauvoo or Carthage to know that. But, as I walked where he walked and stood where he died, the spirit of God couldn't help but confirm to my heart for the
millionth time that he was the Lord's chosen prophet and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true!
I was saddened at the fact that he died so young but, remembered a scripture that brought me comfort:
"Many have marveled because of his death; but it was needful that he should seal his testimony with his blood, that he might be honored and the wicked might be condemned" (D&C 136:39).
We loved Nauvoo and can't wait to go back!
4 comments:
That scene they saw when leaving for Carthage truly is beautiful. What a great place to visit. We hope to go sometime in the future too!
What a cute little pioneer girl!
Sounds like it was an amazing visit to Nauvoo! We hope to go there someday!
How awesome that you were able to go to Nauvoo. I have been, but I would like to go back sometime.
Post a Comment